Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I'm trying to install suse linux 9.2 from the box on my new laptop (Amilo A1650) with windows XP pre installed. I've install suse before on my desktop pc ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

partitioning question

Hi,
    I'm trying to install suse linux 9.2 from the box on my new laptop (Amilo A1650) with windows XP pre installed. I've install suse before on my desktop pc and I had no trouble repartitioning and making it dual boot in about an hour. The hard drive here was 40 GB and I went with the automatic partitioning suggestion.

With the laptop I'm not sure if somethings going wrong in partitioning. Its taking forever ! The hard drives a lot bigger and again I've gone with the automatic suggestions. Its resized the windows partition fine to 40 GB. Then the setup wizard tells me its setting up the / partition, the progress bar on the screen reaches 100 % then it just hangs with the little clock on the mouse pointer turning round and round! The size of / is 50 GB and swap is 750 MB. I left it hanging like this for 90 mins last night while I watched the football game.
    Is something going wrong? or if I'm a bit more patient will installation eventually continue? The same thing happens with APIC off and in safe mode.
    Any comments or help would be appreciated.

did you defrag he windows drive before partitioning ? i recommend doing that a couple of times, also turn off system restore before defragging & turn it back on after defrag

andy
    SLOMO: acer extensa 5235 2.2ghz,2gb ram 160gb hdd wireless
    SPEEDY: homebrew desktop,Amd x2 dualcore,2gb ram,500gb +1tb( 2x500gb) hdd suse 11.3,32mb fibreline
    registered linux user #401845

Just Joined!

Talking problem solved

I did defrag windows a couple of time but I don't think that was the problem. I had no trouble with reiser partitions on my pc last time I installed so I went with reiser again. When I tried Ext3 things moved on a bit further then stalled again. So I tried JFS and everthing worked fine. (apic was off)