Find the answer to your Linux question:
Due to my poor knowledge in Linux, I've just done something crazy as following: I tried to install some new fonts from the /windows/fonts (in windows system), and also deleted ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Question a problem with FONT

Due to my poor knowledge in Linux, I've just done something crazy as following:

I tried to install some new fonts from the /windows/fonts (in windows system), and also deleted some fonts of linux.

Now, the system can not run in graphical user interface anymore.

When i run comands:
    xdm, the screen turn to black in about 1s, and then come back to the bash console.
    startx, the screen displays an error "Fantal Server Error: Could not open default font 'fixed' ".

I tried to reinstall the missing fonts from the installation DVD but it does not help .

I am not sure if this problem comes from my improper setting of the display or from the missing fonts.

Please help me to solve the problem, and tell me which fonts i can delete and which fonts is mandatory and can not be deleted.
    thank you very much for the help.

I don't know off-handedly how to fix your problem, but I do have a good idea how to prevent this happening in the future. First, never delete anything outside of your home directory unless you know EXACTLY what you're doing.

Second, if you need the basic MS Windows fonts they're available for free and you can install them on Linux in a number of ways. The easiest way to do this in SuSE Linux is to open up Yast Online Update and choose the "Microsoft TrueType Fonts" package and install it. This will take care of all the gritty details for you and avoid this happening in the future.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just boot with the install dvd, go through the reinstallation program.
    When you get to the point where it is actually going to start the install, a window will come up asking you what you want to do with the current installation, choose to repair it.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close