Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installing software question

Last time I felt this out of my depth was when I moved from my CBM64 to an Amiga! I picked it up eventually, just about the time I bought my first W95 PC.

Anyhow, you don't want to know my ancient history. I'm new to SUSE, so I'm sure this will be the first of many, many questions.

I have 3 machines here on my desk. 2 run WXP and the newest runs SUSE 9.3. The two Windows machines run a little application called Synergy which allows me to control other machines from the one KVE. On the main PC (Synergy's server), when i move the ouse pointer of the left of the screen, it appears on the other PC (Synergy client) and then using the mouse and keyboard from the main PC, i can control the other one. It's cool.
    Synergy, it turns out has a linux client version so I download the RPM. Flushed with my success, I install the program using YAST, but then I run out of steam. How do I run this program once it's installed?
    I mean, WXP would install it, then dump a shortcut on the desktop, YAST does loads of incomprehensible stuff, lots of scrolling text, then disappears off into the sunset, leaving me none the wiser. How do I find, run and work with the installed application?

Thanks in advance,

Paul

suggestion

Quote Originally Posted by pauleden
    Synergy, it turns out has a linux client version so I download the RPM. Flushed with my success, I install the program using YAST, but then I run out of steam. How do I run this program once it's installed?
    I mean, WXP would install it, then dump a shortcut on the desktop, YAST does loads of incomprehensible stuff, lots of scrolling text, then disappears off into the sunset, leaving me none the wiser. How do I find, run and work with the installed application?
    I have no idea about synergy, ... but I can give you some general guidance which may work with other applications, and possibly synergy.

Assuming you are using KDE, you can use konqueror, and navigate to the rpm.

If you then LEFT CLICK on the rpm file, it will bring up a window (in konqueror) showing 3-tabs with Description, Changelog, Files for the rpm. I always install this way, first reading the description (is this the rpm I wanted ?? ), then I select the "changelog" tab and read about the latest changes, and finally I select the "files" tab, and look at the files that the rpm will install.

In the files you will often notice files under /opt/kde3/bin ... typically those are an executeable file. Make a note in your note book of the path/file there that appears to be the executeable. Or instead the files my be under /usr/bin or perhaps under /usr/local/bin. or under /dir/dir/dir/bin (always ending in bin), where "dir" is a directory name. Again, make a note the path/file name. By doing this you can always try to run the executeable from the konsole (if all else fails).

Now go look for a file for the desktop.

Do this by looking for a file that has a ".desktop" extension. That often represents an icon that you can copy to your desktop, and thus run the application by clicking on that icon.

For example, maybe there will be a desktop application "file" under:
    /usr/share/applications/application.desktop or under
    /opt/kde3/share/servicetypes/application_plugin.desktop or under
    /opt/kde3/share/applications/kde/application.desktop

Again, once you find this, just copy it to your desktop.

Now some rpms are libraries, and of course they won't have executeables, nor will they have desktop application files.

Also, some rpms are pretty clever, and automatically put the file in the KDE menu, and you just need to explore the KMenu menu a bit to find at.

I suspect Gnome has a similar system.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

c64 - happy days!!!

Anyhow, first make sure the program is installed either by firing up Yast and then going to: add/remove programs and type in the name of the rpm. If you see the rpm with a check next to it then it is installed. You can also check via the command line:

rpm -qa | grep <name of package>

If it is installed then my first port of call would be to check all entries in your kmenu (same as windows 'start' menu). If you cant find it then open up a console and type in the exact name of the program, hopefully that should launch it.

If it is not installed then either right click the RPM and install with Yast or, from the command line:

rpm -iv <name of package>

Post if you have further questions/errors or success!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Thanks for that guys; Yes, It was as oldcpu described it using Konquerer/YAST.

Looking at files in the rpm, they are mostly docs with just two executables; synergyc and synergys, which I'm assuming is client and server. Running the client one does nothing, apparently so I've looked into the documentation.
    The linux version doesn't have a GUI, so I've got to hand code configuration files which is a bit of a pain compared to the Windows version, but if it works as expected, it'll be worthwhile.

Your general guidance has helped me with this problem and others and I thank you for it. With any luck, I won't be back too soon, asking for help!

Paul