Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi everyone! Just wanting a little help with this: I have an Acer laptop on double boot (Win/SuSE) with a 64MB ATI Graphics board. When i first used it, everytime ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Angry Had 3D accelarator... not anymore!

Hi everyone!

Just wanting a little help with this:

I have an Acer laptop on double boot (Win/SuSE) with a 64MB ATI Graphics board.

When i first used it, everytime I tried to open something that used 3D (erm, games...coff,coff) it said that no 3D accelarator was either available or installed. So, asking a friend, he told me to download the drivers for linux on the ATI website. And so i did... download, read-through,install,

Code:
    sh ./ati-driver-installer-8.23.7-i386.run
    configure,

Code:
     /usr/X11R6/bin/aticonfig --initial
    reboot, and... it worked! perfectly! no problem anymore...

Because of that I was becoming a bit addicted to the Armegtron game :P

but yesterday while connecting to the internet, it said that new updates were available to install... so i did.

however, it was taking to long and i had to get to class. so, I interrupted the process (not sure when), and went to class.

when i got home, eager to play a little bit, it appeared the same message as before i had installed the drivers.

no panic, i re-did the whole process: installed, configured, reboot,and... nothing! now's not working! i've even tried uninstalling. it seemed to work nicely,but when i tried to use the game again...nada,nothing,zip!

It's as though the driver disappeared and it doesn't allow another instalation.

Any help here?

Thanx

Banned
    Have you upgraded the kernel?
    If so make sure it has support for the graphics card.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewB
    Have you upgraded the kernel?
    If so make sure it has support for the graphics card.
    I agree, what it sounds like to me is your original install was pooched when you downloaded those updates (one of which was probably a kernel patch). 3D drivers usually require some sort of hook into the kernel so updating it will cause them to need to be reinstalled.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close

Smile

So, will i need to re-install the kernel or the drivers? because i've re-installed the drivers a number of times, the same way as i've done before, and still nothing.

is there a shell command so that i can uninstall permanently the drivers in order to re-install them again for good?

Anyway, thanx for the Help guys

Quote Originally Posted by Dpontes11
    So, will i need to re-install the kernel or the drivers? because i've re-installed the drivers a number of times, the same way as i've done before, and still nothing.
    You shouldn't need to reinstall the kernel. You said you were running some updates and then you stopped the update process at some point before it was finished? You might try booting with the SuSE disc and trying to "Repair Existing Installation".
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

One other thing worth noting is that when SuSE does a kernel update through YOU it doesn't always download the kernel-source too. You normally have to manually select that to have the source.

The kernel source is necessary for the drivers to install correctly with 3D support.
    Ubuntu Jaunty :: Arch Linux (current) :: Acer Aspire 1692WMLi

Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    You might try booting with the SuSE disc and trying to "Repair Existing Installation".
    Ok, the thing is I have this SuSE installed with the DVD of a friend from school. thing is, i haven't seen him in a while (because I don't go to school very often )So, I might not be able to get that DVD so soon to do what you are saying.

Is there any other alternative I can try in the meanwhile?

Ok, the thing is I have this SuSE installed with the DVD of a friend from school. thing is, i haven't seen him in a while (because I don't go to school very often )So, I might not be able to get that DVD so soon to do what you are saying.

Is there any other alternative I can try in the meanwhile?
    Yeah, try downloading the kernel-source like zba78 suggested and reinstalling your 3D drivers afterward.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Ok, thanks for the help... I've just downloaded what said to be the latest stable kernel update, with the file patch-2.6.16.1.bz2.

So, how do I install this now? I just hope that this update won't damage anything... but maybe that's just wishful thinking...

Ok, thanks for the help... I've just downloaded what said to be the latest stable kernel update, with the file patch-2.6.16.1.bz2.

So, how do I install this now? I just hope that this update won't damage anything... but maybe that's just wishful thinking...
    Actually, what I meant to say was download the kernel source package using YaST or YOU, which would install it for you.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast