Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm posting from my newly installed suse 10 machine and I'm excited, first time having linux on a personal machine. I have a few problems/questions and would appreciate your input. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

noob's noob

I'm posting from my newly installed suse 10 machine and I'm excited, first time having linux on a personal machine. I have a few problems/questions and would appreciate your input.
    -I have no idea how to go about installing drivers. I have a 64mb nvidia vc and need to install the necessary drivers.
    -When I lauch some of the pre-installed apps, I get a blank screen with the curso at the top left corner and the only way out is to power off and back on. It's happened 3 times already in the past 3hrs.
    -What command(s) do I need to start suse when suse doesn't start in the regular splash/GUI screen but in the bash# prompt I think its called.
    Thanks.

Linux Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by JacobsDream
    -I have no idea how to go about installing drivers. I have a 64mb nvidia vc and need to install the necessary drivers.
    Take a look at this tutorial:
    http://www.linuxforums.org/multimedi...d_drivers.html

For starting GUI, try:
    Code:
    startx

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the reply.
    When I run the sh command from the location of the downloaded driver, I get a prompt that says the following:

You appear to be running an X server; Please exit X before installing....

How would I go about exiting X? Thanks

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by JacobsDream
    How would I go about exiting X?
    Press Ctrl + Alt + F1
    Or, if you want to get into command line instead of X next time when you reboot,
    edit your /etc/inittab file changing:
    Code:
    id:5:initdefault
    to
    Code:
    id:3:initdefault
    It's in the tutorial .

Just Joined!
    Is there a similar tutorial for Fedora Core 5? For some reason I find it quite hard to customize it. So, I was wondering if there is a FC5 tutorial that discusses:

Installing drivers
    Customizing desktop, startup, login, shutdown, menus, etc.

Oh, one last thing I can't figure out: What should I do with the linux I have installed? For ex, with windows, I create databases in access, sometimes create a page or two in php, play games, etc.

Just Joined!
    This is all new to me as well, you might wanna post in the redhat/fedora forum from here
    http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/your-distro/
    As for your windows apps, I still have both running side by side thanks to a kvm switch and I guess you'll need something like vmware or a "plugin" that would let you run windows apps on linux. Look around for linux versions of your other apps and like I said, its all new to me as well.

When the driver install almost runs to completion, I get an error:
    could not compile gcc-version-check.c
    Please be sure you have your distro's libc devept. package installed and that
    "cc" is a valid compiler name.

Yes to ignore gcc version check.

When I select yes, it still fails and obviosly no would terminate the process itself.
    Thanks

if you are having trouble you can consider the YaST install. See here http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/sus...tml#post287675