Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, I got a really annoying problem and can't use my wireless card anymore. I also have to reboot to Windoze to post here and look for different approaches ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Can't use modprobe for ndiswrapper anymore

Hi all,

I got a really annoying problem and can't use my wireless card anymore. I also have to reboot to Windoze to post here and look for different approaches to this problem
    It used to work fine till I ran some auto-updates and now it's all screwed!

What happens is that I can't run "modprobe ndiswrapper" anymore since it tells me that the module is not found. I have read in other posts that the ndiswrapper.ko file is not there. Why was it working before, where did the file go and what can I do to get it back?

I can't upgrade to a different ndiswrapper neither and nothing else works although I can't find the error.

Here are the error message:
    dengar:/home/dengar/windrive/linux tools/ndiswrapper-1.11 # modprobe ndiswrapper
    FATAL: Module ndiswrapper not found.
    dengar:/home/dengar/windrive/linux tools/ndiswrapper-1.11 # make install
    make -C driver install
    make[1]: Entering directory `/home/dengar/windrive/linux tools/ndiswrapper-1.11/driver'
    make -C /lib/modules/2.6.13-15.8-default/build SUBDIRS=/home/dengar/windrive/linux tools/ndiswrapper-1.11/driver \
    DRIVER_VERSION=1.11
    make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.13-15.8-obj/x86_64/default'
    make -C ../../../linux-2.6.13-15.8 O=../linux-2.6.13-15.8-obj/x86_64/default tools/ndiswrapper-1.11/driver
    make[4]: *** No rule to make target `tools/ndiswrapper-1.11/driver'. Stop.
    make[3]: *** [tools/ndiswrapper-1.11/driver] Error 2
    make[2]: *** [tools/ndiswrapper-1.11/driver] Error 2
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.13-15.8-obj/x86_64/default'
    make[1]: *** [default] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/dengar/windrive/linux tools/ndiswrapper-1.11/driver'
    make: *** [install] Error 2
    dengar:/home/dengar/windrive/linux tools/ndiswrapper-1.11 #
    I really need to get this back working and I would apprecaite any comments.

I really tried everything that I could think off including removing everything there was for the ndiswrapper and then re-installing.
    I can't install from a tar ball as you can see the error message I am experiencing and I couldn't find any other Suse 10.0 x64 ndiswrapper rpms.

Please bear in mind that I had it working fine before the auto update that included a kernel update as far as I'm aware.

With the kernel update, the ndiswrapper module needs to be rebuilt against the new kernel to be compatible. If SuSE doesn't have a package that either includes the right module version or builds one for you, then you're right to try to build it yourself.

The problem you're running into appears to result from certain directory names:
    Quote Originally Posted by dengar
    make[1]: Entering directory `/home/dengar/windrive/linux tools/ndiswrapper-1.11/driver'
    make -C /lib/modules/2.6.13-15.8-default/build SUBDIRS=/home/dengar/windrive/linux tools/ndiswrapper-1.11/driver \
    DRIVER_VERSION=1.11
    make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.13-15.8-obj/x86_64/default'
    make -C ../../../linux-2.6.13-15.8 O=../linux-2.6.13-15.8-obj/x86_64/default tools/ndiswrapper-1.11/driver
    make[4]: *** No rule to make target `tools/ndiswrapper-1.11/driver'. Stop.
    Note the two directories containing spaces in their names: 'linux tools' and 'driver tools'. If the code isn't specifically written to handle spaces, things will go wrong, as they did in the line that starts "make[2]:" Notice how it ends by splitting the 'default tools' directory name in half, and leaving off the rest of the line. Then the compiler thinks the rest of the pathname is an argument for the make command, and when it doesn't understand that argument, it errors out.

Try going through the directories and renaming them where needed to get rid of spaces, then run make again. Or maybe you can go through the makefiles in each directory and alter them to handle spaces in filenames, but that's pretty tedious.
    Stand up and be counted as a Linux user!

Just Joined!

renaming folders

Isn't it very difficult to rename folders and also dangerous as so many links depend on the name of the folder?
    can you give me an alternative?

What could I do to get that ndiswrapper.ko?

Would it not be easier to modify the code and how would I proceed on this?
    And how about the Kernel update? Is there a way to undo these changes?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

Solved the problem

Hi folks,

I was sitting at office and I finally got behind it!

Yes, I'm sorry considering the stupidity of my last post. I found out that the folder in which the ndiswrapper is, is on a different hard drive then linux, that hard drive was mounted in my home folder and that's why nothing really worked.
    I never could install anything from that hard drive ever, but from the linux drive no problem. So my wireless is fixed and my Linux is working better than ever before.