Find the answer to your Linux question:
I just recently installed SuSE Linux 10.0 on my computer, making it dual boot from grub i think? loads into either windows xp or my linux. I managed to get ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Wireless worries

I just recently installed SuSE Linux 10.0 on my computer, making it dual boot from grub i think? loads into either windows xp or my linux. I managed to get my network card setup i think, and i can sometimes connect to the internet...but the keyword being sometimes. I think the problem is connecting to my router downstairs; because it is encrypted. On windows, when it searches it finds two different wireless networks i can connect to: One being my router's with a "Very good" signal strength, and the other being some connection i dont recognise, with "poor" signal strength. I think perhaps this is a neighbours signal. It is unencrypted. when i logon to linux, it connects me to the internet using Wireless:rausb0 connection, but it is very slow and after a few minutes i loose the connection. the only other way i can get it back is restarting my computer. I think it is connecting me to my neighbours unencrypted network instead of my own. My own is encrypted at the present but I tried with it unencrypted and it seems linux doesnt recognise it.

I'm a complete linux noobie, can anyone help me out? ^^:thx

If you can connect to your but it slow, try disabling your firewall (temporarily) and see if that helps
    Ubuntu Jaunty :: Arch Linux (current) :: Acer Aspire 1692WMLi

Just Joined!
    i disabled the firewall and it doesnt change.. I still cannot connect to my network downstairs. every once in a while it just randomly connects to a network with terrible connectivity and a few min later it disconnects. I'm pretty sure this is a neighbours connection...I just cant seem to get it to recognise my connection downstairs. I unencrypted the my network so my router's signals arent encrypted anymore, but It still wont recognise the network. i put in the essid and all.

can you post back the results of these commands:
    Code:
    iwconfig
    route
    run them as root.

Also, do you get an ip via DHCP or do you use static ip's?
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Just Joined!
    i do the iwconfig and stuff on my user, not as root. but i "su -" and stuff first so would that be as if i was on root? also, connecting sometimes isnt the problem, just keeping the connection alive

edit: I use DHCP

also, when it disconnects i go "ifup rausb0" and it has an error saying it cant find an IP Adress

when i said run as root, i meant the su - stuff. Now can you post back what those commands return. Also if you have a wired card on your computer, disable it in Yast and see if that help.

Also, does this problem happen in windows?
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.