Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Running SuSE 10. mplayer gives this error: Couldn't open DVD device: /dev/dvd 1. libdvdcss installed. I had libdvdcss2 installed, but I deleted it and installed libdvdcss. 2. libxine1 installed What ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

DVD's won't play **SOLVED**

Running SuSE 10. mplayer gives this error:
    Couldn't open DVD device: /dev/dvd

1. libdvdcss installed. I had libdvdcss2 installed, but I deleted it and installed libdvdcss.

2. libxine1 installed

What next? I can play other files, like .wmv

it's either a permission problem. Such as you don't have permission to access the dvd drive as a regular user. Or that is not where you dvd device is. Check out /etc/fstab to see where your device is supposed to be. and then for permission you need to be in the "cdrom" group. It might not be called that in suse so try googling something about permission and dvd drive in suse.

edit: you can probably just put "user" in the <opts> line of /etc/fstab if its a permission problem.
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL

or just add yourself to the cdrom group.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

Your Solution for Playback of all multimedia files...READ THIS..

This comes off the Jem Report....good info....the instructions are accurate. follow them. enjoy.
    ...brerabbit

Hacking OpenSUSE

OpenSUSE is comprised entirely of free, open source software. What you will be doing in this tutorial is installing proprietary add-ons that add functionality. All of the browser plugins are proprietary and will require you to agree to software licenses. The DVD playback capabilities are in violation of the U.S. Digital Millennium Copyright Act (and similar laws in other countries), which many believe to be unconstitutional and a violation of consumer fair use rights. Click here for more information on DMCA reform. In other words, installing the DVD decoding software could be illegal where you live; therefore I'm not telling you to do it, but I'll tell you how it's done for educational and informational purposes.
    Adding sources to YaST

First you'll need to add some software repositories to your YaST installation sources list. Go into the YaST utility by clicking on the green Gecko menu in the lower left corner of your screen. Select System, then click on Control Center (YaST). You'll be prompted for your root password. Go ahead and type it in, check the box next to Keep Password, and click OK.

You're now in YaST, and the Software category is already selected by default. Click on the Installation Source icon. This will bring up a window that will allow you to add software repositories so that you can download the add-on software. You'll notice that your CD or DVD installation media is already listed. Go ahead and disable it by clicking the Enable Or Disable button -- we're going to add an Internet address that will replace your discs. That way if you need to add software from the CDs or DVD, you can get the packages from the Internet instead of putting a disc into your computer. If you need to, you can just as easily enable the CD/DVD source later.

Click the Add button, then click on HTTP in the popup menu. Add the following Internet address to the Server Name field and then click on OK:

packman.rsync.zmi.at/suse/10.0

If that repository link does not work, you can choose one of the mirrors from this list.

Now repeat this process and add the following servers to your installation sources using the FTP option instead of HTTP:

* mirrors.kernel.org/opensuse/distribution/SL-10.0-OSS/inst-source-java
    * mirrors.kernel.org/opensuse/distribution/SL-10.0-OSS/inst-source
    * mirrors.kernel.org/suse/i386/10.0/SUSE-Linux10.0-GM-Extra

Now next to all of your new software sources, change the Refresh option to On. You can do this by selecting each source and clicking on the Refresh On Or Off button. The default is Off, so you'll have to change all of the entries.

To add support for the Java language both for standalone applications and as a browser plugin for Web applets, go into YaST, then select Package Management. In the Search box, type in sun and click Search. A bunch of packages will show up in the right-hand pane. Click the checkbox next to the following packages:

* java-1_5_0-sun
    * java-1_5_0-sun-alsa
    * java-1_5_0-sun-jdbc
    * java-1_5_0-sun-plugin

There is no harm in selecting all of the java-1_5_0-sun packages (you'll notice that there are a few more that weren't selected), but they are not necessary for running Java programs. If you're a Java programmer, of course you'll want at least some of the other packages. When you're done selecting them, click on Accept. When it's done installing, click on Finish in the popup window to go back to YaST. Your computer will now be able to run Java programs and applets.
    Flash, Acrobat, Windows Media, MP3, and RealMedia support

Go back into the YaST software manager. In the Search box, type in w32codec-all and click on Search. A single package should appear in the right-hand pane. Click the checkbox next to it.

Erase your previous search term in the Search box, type in acroread and click on Search. Click the checkbox next to the acroread package in the right-hand pane. You'll have to accept a software license agreement to continue.

Now search for flash and click Search. Select that package for installation by clicking its checkbox and agreeing to its license.

Search for realplayer and click Search. Click its checkbox. You only need the RealPlayer package itself -- the other search results are not necessary.

Search for mplayer and click Search. Click its checkbox. You don't need the other package that appears in the search results.

Search for kaffeine-mozilla and click Search. Click its checkbox.

When you've done all of this, click on Accept. Other packages will be dependent on some of these, so you'll have to click Continue in the Automatic Changes screen that comes up. After that, all of the packages you just selected will be installed and your Firefox Web browser will have all of the plugins it needs. You'll also have the ability to play MP3 music files. A popup window will appear when it's done -- just click on Finish and you'll be brought back to YaST.
    DVD playback

(64-bit users, skip down to the next section). I couldn't find any SUSE installation sources for the DVD decoding program, so you'll have to download it on your own. Go to your Gecko menu, then select Internet, then Web Browser, then click on Web Browser (Konqueror). When Konqueror opens, copy and paste in this address:

http://download.videolan.org/pub/lib...2.9-1.i386.rpm

Or just click here if you want a link. Konqueror will ask you what you want to do with the file. You could save it to your Desktop, then double-click it to install it, but an easier way is to select the Open With button. That will bring up a popup window. In that window, click on System, then Configuration, then Package Manager (KPackage). (If you do not have KPackage installed, go back to the YaST software manager and install the kdeadmin3 package, then restart this process.) The KPackage program will read the DVD decoding package from the Web. Click on the Install button at the bottom of the KPackage window, then click on Install in the next window too. You will be asked for your root password; type it in and press Enter. Shortly thereafter, the DVD decoding library will be installed. Click on the Done button, then close KPackage and Konqueror.

Next you'll have to modify the video player so that it will play DVDs. While it originally had this functionality built in, Novell has removed it to make life more difficult for people who want to watch DVDs on their computer.

Go into YaST and select Software Management. The familiar package selection screen will come up. In the Search box, type in xine and then click Search. About two dozen entries will appear in the right-hand pane. Right-click on all of the blue-colored packages (there should be at least two) and select Update from the drop-down menu. Click on Accept when you're done, and then click on Continue in the ensuing Automatic Changes screen. The updated software will now download and install properly. When it's finished, a popup window will ask you if you'd like to install more software. Click on Finish and you'll be brought back to YaST's software manager.

You now have the ability to play commercial DVD movies on your computer -- put one in and try it, if it's legal where you are. A popup message should appear when you put in a DVD movie. If it asks you if you want to play the movie with Kaffeine, click on Yes and you'll go straight to the video player. In some instances the disc may be recognized as a data disc, and SUSE will ask you if you want to open the DVD with K3b. In that case, click on Ignore, then go to the Gecko menu, select Multimedia, then Video Player, then click on Media Player (Kaffeine). When Kaffeine starts, click on the Open DVD icon.
    For 64-bit users

Those using the 64-bit edition of SUSE 10 will need to compile deCSS from the source code. This is not as difficult as it sounds; just follow the directions below.

First, download the deCSS source RPM from this address:

http://download.videolan.org/pub/lib....2.9-1.src.rpm

Save it to a location that is easy to get to, like your user's home directory or a "downloads" directory therein (the example assumes you saved it to /home/user/downloads/). Next, open a terminal by clicking on the gecko menu, then System, then Terminal, then Konsole. Use the cd command to change to the directory you saved the source RPM to. Then type in su and press Enter to switch to root permissions. Navigate to the directory where you saved the deCSS source RPM, then type in this command:

rpmbuild --rebuild --target=x86_64 /home/user/downloads/libdvdcss-1.2.9-1.src.rpm

This will build a binary RPM from the source code you just downloaded. Now it's time to install it. Type this into your terminal:

rpm -ihv /home/user/downloads/libdvdcss2-1.2.9-1.x86_64.rpm

You now have the ability to play DVD movies. Follow the directions in the previous section to install Xine and/or Mplayer.
    Welcome to SUSE

Just Joined!
    I've read the JEM report, but my device does not exist.

/dev/dvd does not exist. How do I make it exist?

As root, you'll need to make a symlink from /dev/dvd to your device, whether that's /dev/hdb, /dev/hdc, etc.
    For example, if I type ls -l /dev/dvd*, I get this:
    Code:
    lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 3 2006-03-28 18:29 /dev/dvd -> hdb
    lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 3 2006-03-28 18:29 /dev/dvdrw -> hdb
    Those are both symlinks, which can be created by typing this:
    Code:
    # ln -s /dev/hdb /dev/dvd
    # ln -s /dev/hdb /dev/dvdrw
    Don't worry about fstab and permissions. They only deal with mounted filesystems, and movie DVDs need to be left unmounted before you play them. The player software will take care of the mounting and permissions as it needs to.
    Stand up and be counted as a Linux user!

Just Joined!
    Hey Zelmo. The command you gave me gives the following error:

# ls -l /dev/dvd*
    /bin/ls: /dev/dvd*: No such file or directory

Do I need to mkdir /dev/dvd and /dev/dvdrw?

No, you just need symlinks. As root, type the first line that I put in my second box of code. That will create /dev/dvd, which points to /dev/hdb. Note that your DVD player might not be on /dev/hdb, so first find out where it it is. You can do that by searching through dmesg (hint: # dmesg | less will pipe it through less, where you can search for the word DVD by hitting the / key and entering DVD as the search term; if the first instance it finds isn't helpful, hit n to find the next one). Then make the symlink from /dev/dvd to the appropriate device.
    Stand up and be counted as a Linux user!

Just Joined!
    Hey Zelmo... I'm still having some probs. with my symlinks.
    I did: # dmesg | less ... and did not find anything that helped. I used the / to search as well. Under the /dev directory, I saw the following listings:
    cdrom
    cdrom2
    ... I'm using SuSE 10.

Here's my fstab:

# cat /etc/fstab
    /dev/sda2 / reiserfs acl,user_xattr 1 1
    /dev/sda1 swap swap defaults 0 0
    proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
    sysfs /sys sysfs noauto 0 0
    usbfs /proc/bus/usb usbfs noauto 0 0
    devpts /dev/pts devpts mode=0620,gid=5 0 0
    /dev/cdrom /media/cdrom subfs noauto,fs=cdfss,ro,procuid,nosuid,nodev,exec,iocha rset=utf8 0 0
    none /subdomain subdomainfs noauto 0 0
    /dev/cdrom2 /media/cdrom2 subfs noauto,fs=cdfss,ro,procuid,nosuid,nodev,exec,iocha rset=utf8 0 0

When I did: #dmesg | less, I did see this:
    Vendor: _NEC Model: DVD+-RW ND-6650A Rev: 102C
    Type: CD-ROM ANSI SCSI revision: 05
    Attached scsi generic sg1 at scsi1, channel 0, id 0, lun 0, type 5
    ACPI: CPU0 (power states: C1[C1] C2[C2] C3[C3] C4[C3])
    ACPI: Processor [CPU0] (supports 8 throttling states)
    ACPI-0521: *** Warning: Error getting cpuindex for acpiid 0x1
    ACPI: Thermal Zone [THM] (31 C)
    Attempting manual resume
    swsusp: Suspend partition has wrong signature?
    sr0: scsi3-mmc drive: 24x/24x writer cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray
    Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.20
    Attached scsi CD-ROM sr0 at scsi1, channel 0, id 0, lun 0

How do I make the symlinks based on the above info?

Have you tried just telling Mplayer to look in /dev/cdrom instead of /dev/dvd?
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast