Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I am a newbie and have tried fedora - went through hell and failed at getting my wireless working. Tried Mandriva and got it working but it was to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Newbie - wireless config

Hi,
    I am a newbie and have tried fedora - went through hell and failed at getting my wireless working.
    Tried Mandriva and got it working but it was to "windows like" and i want to LEARN linux.

Now I installed SUSE and it is my favorite - well at least so far, it looks great, etc.

So how do I install ndiswrapper and wpa supplicant - do I need that? I am hoping it is easier then fedora but not as easy as suse, I like to learn but fedora wouldn't work no matter what I did.

It seems suse is a good mix between good for the experienced user and the newbie where mandriva is very easy to point and click while fedora is for the more experienced command line user.
    I need to learn redhat for work, if I learn suse is the cut over to do redhat work easy or is it very different in the install of software, administration, ftp server setup, web setup, firewall config, etc.?

ndiswrapper and wpa_supplicant are available on SUSE's inatalltion media. Simply launch yast -> "Instal land remove software" and search for those two packages. Only install wpa_supplicant if your network uses wpa encryption.

If you are talking about commands, then they are the same. However if you are talking about programs or gui tools, then the difference between SUSE and RH is vast. I haven't used RH in a long time, so I don't know what gui based configuration tools it has now.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.