Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey guys, I am new to Linux. In fact, this is the first time i try something with Linux. I have a pentium 3 coppermine server with Windows 2003, but ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

installing Suse 10 on Pentium 3

Hey guys, I am new to Linux. In fact, this is the first time i try something with Linux. I have a pentium 3 coppermine server with Windows 2003, but t keeps crashing, so I decided to switch to Suse linux 10.

The specs are:
    Intel Pentium III coppermine, 550 Mhz, 512KB Cache
    Asus P2b-LS motherboard
    512 MB RAM SDRAM memory
    10 GB 7200 rpm IDE harddisk - formatted to ext3

Now, when I boot up the dvd-rom of Suse 10, I choose installation, and it loads the kernel. After a while, a console view shows up and it stops with the following error:

Invalid compressed format
    VFS: cannot open root device "NULL" or unknown block
    Please append a correct root= boot-option
    Kernel panic ... etc etc

I have searched on google and other forums, no solution . I dont know how to set a root device, and i dont even know what a root device is (maybe primary partition?). Can someone please help me with this? I dont want to return to Windows crap again!

Thanks,
    best regards,

Me

did you burn the disc yourself, if so, did you check the md5sum of the iso before burning, and did you burn at a slow speed?

another thing to check is wether the disc works on another computer and wether you can get to an installation screen of sorts.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Just Joined!
    no i didnt check, how do I do that?

I just downloaded the image and immediately burned it with 16 speed on a dvd+r

What should I do? Can I still copy if off the dvd and do that checksum thing and burn it slow again?

Burn it slower, I recommend 2-4x even though it takes forever I havenever had a bad burn at those speeds. And if you can, like AlexK said, test the disk on another computer and see if it boots to the installer screen.
    Registered GNU/Linux User #399198
    'Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.' -Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Microsnot
    no i didnt check, how do I do that?
    in windows, download a program by the name of fsum. goto the place where you downloaded the iso's and look for a file called shasum or md5sum and download it. Now in windows' command line do something like:
    Code:
    fsum c:\path_to_iso
    it should spit out a number, compare this number to the one in the md5sum or shasum file, if they are different, then the iso's are corrupt.

Just Joined!
    Thanks

Right now im downoading the image again (i deleted the other one stupid!!!).

I did check it on a laptop with virtual pc, and it gave me the same error so i will do the checksum and then burn it with 2x is that slow enough?

Personally I burn at 6x - 10x for cd's and 4x - 8x for dvd's. Just make sure you aren't running too many things when burning as this is where I see people get errors during the burn.

Just Joined!
    It doesnt work, now i get a blank screen when i choose: Installation, in menu :S

I have a 1 gb ram, 3,00 ghz pc with windows xp sp2.

I used a platinum dvd which is very good and expensive. I burned at 6x, shut down almost every service i didnt use, and it didnt gave me an error. The checksum was also good.

So I guess ill have to upgrade the motherboard and get back to windows 2003 :S

Just Joined!
    Nevermind, I switched videocard and now it works.

Burning at 6 speed helped! Thanks alot for your help all of you.