Find the answer to your Linux question:
this is an old one, and it is odd why i should encounter this on the newest KDE release (3.5.2) for SUSE 9.3 Pro. whenever i click on the 'administrator ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question kcontrol admin mode fails

this is an old one, and it is odd why i should encounter this on the newest KDE release (3.5.2) for SUSE 9.3 Pro.

whenever i click on the 'administrator mode' button in kcontrol modules that require root access, i get nothing -- no password dialog even. just sits there and takes me back to the main index page. i've searched this on the web and this is mostly an Ubuntu problem.

anyone having the same problem?

I had the same problem on my Debian Sarge box while configuring the network connection. I was able to work around it from the command line so I didn't look into it further. Sorry I don't have a solution.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Just Joined!
    here's what i did to resolve my case. extract kdesu binary from an older version (3.4.0-28 ) and replaced my current one (3.5.2) with the extracted copy @ /opt/kde3/bin/. you should back-up the necessary files just in case if you wanna try this.

clicking on the 'admin mode' button will now prompt me for a root password and take me wherever it should take me, like make changes to my network settings if i chose the kcontrol module for such.