Find the answer to your Linux question:
I need to know what PCMCIA Cards work in Suse out of the box. I would like to have wireless but if I have to use Wired thats ok. Or ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Wireless or Wired Nic That Work?

I need to know what PCMCIA Cards work in Suse out of the box. I would like to have wireless but if I have to use Wired thats ok. Or useing Ndiswraper or whatever it's called. Whats the best NIC to get? My 10/100 that I have right now is a POS Compusa brand that doen't work.

There is a short list of some of the ones that work on the openSuSE site, here -->
    http://en.opensuse.org/HCL/Network_A...%28Wireless%29 , you can also find a list of wired PCMCIA cards that work. As for whether they work straight out of the box of whether they need a little configuration I cannot say.

The Orinoco Classic Gold card works pretty much "out of the box," with most distros, but you still have to configure your connection just like you would in Windows. The only thing is, it's 802.11B which is fine unless you really need lots of speed. Almost all 802.11G's will require you to use Ndiswrapper. The ones with the Ralink chipset have Linux drivers and instructions. See this for the cards available. (Version is very important!) The instructions for installing the drivers and configuring the connection with Ndiswrapper and Ralink will take more time though.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

If you can find a Prism GT based card, they work pretty easily too (all I've ever needed to do is get the firmware from the prism 54 project & save it to etc/firmware and usr/lib/hotplug/firmware <- though these directories might vary depending on your distro)

Toodle-oo
    Giles

PS - to find which chipsets a large number of cards use, see linux-wlan.org (although this page hasnt bee updated for a couple of years, so it's worth checking the info there before you rely on it completely)

EDIT: spelling and link to linux-wlan
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are powerless. Our greatest fear is Microsoft"
    Registered linux user #391027

Just Joined!
    I have an article about Netgear wireless hardware. I did a lot of research up front, and when I bought that card, it literally just worked. Take a look. Hopefully, that will help you out.

i found a generic atheros chipset card that works out of the box on suse, ubuntu, mepis, etc with the madwifi driver. i've also installed that driver for several other distros such as mandriva to get it going. works great.
    Desktop: Dual Xeon 2.8 GHz 1.5 GB RAM Ubuntu/XP Pro
    Laptop: Macbook 2 GHz C2Duo 3 GB RAM OS X/ Ubuntu/ XP Pro
    Linux Registration #396559

Go 'Stros!