Find the answer to your Linux question:
Ok, my computer died and yeah. I got a nice Shinny new laptop ACER. and i tried to install it and i got lots of problems. at first it says ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Newbie installation problems

Ok, my computer died and yeah.

I got a nice Shinny new laptop ACER. and i tried to install it and i got lots of problems. at first it says the one Windows hard drive isnt shrinking. and the Software isnt showing up

so i want to know how to completely Delete Windows and everything on the laptop and dowload suse linux.

Download the 4-cd iso files or the one dvd iso and then burn them as an image (not data CD from win) and then boot from the CD/DVD you just burned and follow the instructions, it should give you an option to conmpletely erese the hard drive.
    Registered GNU/Linux User #399198
    'Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.' -Steven Wright

Just Joined!
    Um i downloaded the 5 ISO images, i poped it in and booted from the CD. then whent install.... chose Gnose (or something like that) as my software. then when it was telling me to partition harddrive it said it couldnt shrink windows. so then i told it to delete windows then there was "hda.1 (or something like that) deleted" and it just didnt work

Im on an Acer laptop

Maybe a step by step instelation tutorial... yes im riding the little bus to funky town

Sorry, it is has been a while snce I downloaded suse there is accually 5 cd's not 4. So from your first post, you wanted to completely delete windows? Then just delete all previous partitions and have suse make it's own. An example of that would be about a 512-1024mb swap area and maybe 15gb to /home (optional) and the rest of the drive to /. The /home and / should be partitioned as reiserFS or ext2 or ext3. The swap area should be swap. It has been a long time since I installed suse so I may not be much help in a step by step tutorial. And you chose the gnome software (just for future refrence).
    Registered GNU/Linux User #399198
    'Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.' -Steven Wright

Just Joined!
    this is what i was getting before

Installation Settings

Over view

Partitioning
    (in red) *Shrink Windows Partition /dev/hda5 to 12.o gb (red)
    *create Swap Partition /Dev/Hda6 (878.5mb)
    *create Root Partition /dev/hda7 (23.oGB ) with Reiserfs
    *set mount point of /dev/hda2 to /windows/C

Software
    (in red) No Source found at "CD://;devices=/dev/hdc" (red)

*Error: No Proposal

Language

* Primary language english (us)

this is what im getting now
    Installation Settings

Over view

Partitioning
    (in red) Delete Patition hda1 (2.9gb)
    (in red) *delete Windows Partition hda2 to 35.7 gb (red)
    (in red) delete partition hda3 (35.8 gb) (red)
    (in red) Delete Windows Partition hda3 (35.8gb) (red)
    *create Swap Partition /Dev/Hda1 (1gb) <<< i couldnt make it MB it only gave me GB control>>
    *create Root Partition /dev/hda2 (14.oGB ) for/home with Reiserfs
    *creat root partition /dev/hda3 (59.5gb) with Reiserf

Software
    (in red) No Source found at "CD://;devices=/dev/hdc" (red)

*Error: No Proposal

Language

* Primary language english (us)