Find the answer to your Linux question:
Is there a command I can pass that will launch yast2 software management's section and install a specific rpm that I have downloaded? I only ask because since upgrading KDE ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Install rpm via yast

Is there a command I can pass that will launch yast2 software management's section and install a specific rpm that I have downloaded?

I only ask because since upgrading KDE to 3.5.2 clicking on 'Install this with Yast' in konqueror doesn't work anymore.
    Ubuntu Jaunty :: Arch Linux (current) :: Acer Aspire 1692WMLi

Linux User
    That's strange that Yast2 won't install rpms via Konqueror. Personally, I always prefer to install rpm's via the command line, if I can, because I have so much control over what's going on and I can see if there are any errors or missing packages. If you want to install an rpm in this way you can simply type in your command line emulator (Konsole):
    Code:
    rpm -i packagename.rpm
    There are many many options for installing rpms. To see them just type "man rpm" in Konsole.

It could also be that Yast2 would not install the rpm because of a problem and if you attempt to install the package via command line, you will see what the problem was. Otherwise, you could try adding the directory that contains the package as a Yast source and then searching for that package in Yast2.

Someone else might have a better idea on that last part, though. I'm still learning to navigate Yast2 myself.

there was a bug in suse rpms & kde, now sorted, if you update kde again all will be fine

andy
    SLOMO: acer extensa 5235 2.2ghz,2gb ram 160gb hdd wireless
    SPEEDY: homebrew desktop,Amd x2 dualcore,2gb ram,500gb +1tb( 2x500gb) hdd suse 11.3,32mb fibreline
    registered linux user #401845

Quote Originally Posted by deltaflyer
    there was a bug in suse rpms & kde, now sorted, if you update kde again all will be fine

andy
    Ah thank you.

For info the command is
    Code:
    yast2 -i xxxxxxx.rpm
    Ubuntu Jaunty :: Arch Linux (current) :: Acer Aspire 1692WMLi