Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am a complete and total newb to linux and I have quite a few questions. First the specifications (won't be 100% accurate because I am not at my computer ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Total Newb in need of a lot assistance

I am a complete and total newb to linux and I have quite a few questions. First the specifications (won't be 100% accurate because I am not at my computer at the moment) I'm running Suse 10.0 on an AMD64 processor and using Gnome. I only have broadband access at college so any large programs or files I download at school onto a thumbdrive then bring them home. (I live out in the boonies so broadband at home is not at all possible) so on with the questions.

1. Which is better, Gnome or KDE?

2. How do I set up dialup on my computer and will "accelerated dialup" make a difference?

3. What good programs are there for multimedia purposes (i.e. mp3 player, DVD players, and cd burning)

4. Is there anyway to download updates on my thumbdrive at school and install them on my home computer (i bought suse 10.0 in a store so it is registered)

5. I have a Radeon X800XL PCIe video card and suse dectets its presence but when I try to run a program that needs accelerated graphics it says there is no acceleration hardware, how do i fix this?

I believe that is all the questions I have for now. Thank you in advance for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by Flannel
    1. Which is better, Gnome or KDE?
    This question will not be answered by anyone but yourself. It's like asking "which flavor of ice cream will be my favorite?" Try both. See for yourself.

2. How do I set up dialup on my computer and will "accelerated dialup" make a difference?
    Probably not. What some companies call "Accelerated Dialup" is really just a fancy way of caching pages and compressing images so they seem to load faster. The FCC has limited the absolute top speed with which anyone can transfer data over a dial-up connection, so it's basically impossible to get more than around 49kbps transfer rates regardless of your provider.

3. What good programs are there for multimedia purposes (i.e. mp3 player, DVD players, and cd burning)
    Tons. XMMS is a popular "Winamp-style" MP3 player, as is AmaroK, which is more "iTunes-style". These are just two of many. Popular DVD and movie players include Xine and MPlayer. CD Burning depends on your desktop (KDE or Gnome). A popular KDE burner is K3B. I'm not sure what the equivalent would be in GNOME. You can run K3B in Gnome, it just won't run quite as fast.

4. Is there anyway to download updates on my thumbdrive at school and install them on my home computer (i bought suse 10.0 in a store so it is registered)
    It's possible, but I'm not entirely sure how you'd do it.

5. I have a Radeon X800XL PCIe video card and suse dectets its presence but when I try to run a program that needs accelerated graphics it says there is no acceleration hardware, how do i fix this?
    ATI cards are notoriously hard to get running 3D accelerated in Linux, and even when they do work, they're usually not as good performance-wise as their main competitor, Nvidia. Your mileage may vary. Here's the site to download the Linux ATI drivers:

https://support.ati.com/ics/support/...ge&folderID=27
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

About the ATI drivers, if you don't mind non-free software, use the ATI drivers from their site. I installed them quickly with the ATI installer, and works fine.

About the audio players, I use Beep Media Player (BMP) myself, v.0.91. The guys that made BMP are making a complete rewrite called BMPx ((http://bmpx.beep-media-player.org), but it requires the freshest builds of some of the GNOME components, and the only way I could keep up was to build GNOME by hand. Stick with XMMS if you are starting out, it's still a good player.

oz
    forum.guy
    Welcome to the forums, Flannel!

1) Sometimes I like Gnome better, and sometimes KDE is better. It really depends on my mood at the time. Sometimes (and usually) I don't like either of them and prefer XFCE4, or FVWM. Like techiMoe says, only you can decide.
    2) I'm curious to know about acc. dialup myself
    3) I usually use xmms (audio) , xine (video), and graveman (burning)
    4) Sure
    5) I'm an nvidia guy so can't help with ATI stuff
    oz