Find the answer to your Linux question:
okay, hello everyone. i am a former redhat/fedora user and i wanted to change for some difficulties i faced in FC, i had many advises telling me SuSE is the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

SuSE 9.3 Media Problem

okay, hello everyone.

i am a former redhat/fedora user and i wanted to change for some difficulties i faced in FC, i had many advises telling me SuSE is the way so i went to download the isos and burn them.

i downloaded the SuSE 9.3 ISOs from this site: http://iso.linuxquestions.org/version.php?version=194

The funny thing is that all the 5 CDs media checks were reporting error reading the CDs i mean all the 5 ISOs are currepted, i remember mentioning something i have to add when i boot so a problem like that get resovled in case of a specific problem, anyway i don't remember the problem and i do not remembre how to fix it and i am not gunna try installing SuSE on my drive cuz it contains important into and i dont want some currepted CDs ruining everything.

is this a known problem? is there a solution?
    Registered Linux User # 368300 at Linux Counter

Just Joined!
    I remember when I first installed Suse using the 5 cd ISOs all my CDs returned md5 sum errors when checking the media prior to the install. In my case the problem was because I was using low quality CDs. I burned the same downloaded ISOs with different disks and all good. Its often an idea to also burn at a slow writing speed, therefore ensuring a good *burn*, so to speak.

Hope this helps...

Linux Newbie
    oh i burned them on SONY CDs and at writing speed 16x to ensure that, so you're saying my CDs are bad and it's not just an error in media check?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by xt2k
    oh i burned them on SONY CDs and at writing speed 16x to ensure that, so you're saying my CDs are bad and it's not just an error in media check?
    Check the MD5Sums of your original ISO files. If they check out, it's quite possible just an error in the media check program. Fedora has this issue frequently as well.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux Newbie
    i donno how to check the MD5, can you post how under windows or dos doesn't matter but windows more preferred.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by xt2k
    I wasn't saying your CDs were *bad* so to speak, I was saying that I had success by using other CDs. Sony CDs should be fine.

Try this to verify the md5sum of your downloaded ISOs:

http://www.toast442.org/md5/

I have never used it - it was the first entry I saw in google....

Linux Newbie
    excuse me if what i said sounded bad but i meant to ask that you suspect CDs not downloaded files.

anyways i checked the MD5sum and it seems my downloads are fine, so it seems either the media check by suse is wrong or my 5 CDs are really currepted

Just Joined!
    If I were you, i'd buy another brand of CD and reburn the first ISO and start the install process again. Check the media - if all ok then buy another 4 CDs and start the process again. If the media check fails then then that would *suggest* there is a problem with the media checking utility.

Keep me posted ...