Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Hmm the SIGSEGV error is usually when a KDE application crashes, kind of like "Program not responding" or "Fatal exception" error in Windows. Once again, take a look at dmesg ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Hmm the SIGSEGV error is usually when a KDE application crashes, kind of like "Program not responding" or "Fatal exception" error in Windows. Once again, take a look at dmesg or /var/log/messages when this occurs.

As for the drives not mounting, does your fstab contain anything wierd?
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Hi AlexK, The very first thing I did in " repair " was to remove the invalid or obsolete lines in fstab. Later I went into Yast to see if any of the network connections had somehow been activated. ( My windows nightmares included many times being unwillingly hooked up to someone else's LAN network and I am still paranoid. ) I went to Wikipedia to get info about /dev/hda1 and /dev/hda5 as well as Postfix which the repair reinstalled. I came to Linux to able to be able to peacefully use the Internet. Although I wish I had known about Linux a lot sooner in life; my many microsoft nightmares have given me the insight to see just how great Linux is, even if I can not use all of its wonders.

Every weekend I update Suse 10: I think I am now going to develop a regular schedule for also doing an automatic repair on my Suse 10 OS.

I doubt you are going to have problems like these every time you run an update. Just out of curiosity, do you remember what exactly you updated when you last did it?

hda1 and hda5 are just partitions on your hard drive and nothing more, it could just be that the entries for them in fstab were wrong.

I am sorry AlexK, I just update without notating what is updated. There is an optional update for a card that my computer will not accept, so I do not check that. Two updates ago there was an update for Firefox. I do not use the Firefox browser, but after the update I clicked it on and saw my Opera browser toolbar on Firefox - which I thought was strange. However, everything about computers is strange to me. I use dial-up and maybe my microsoft affiliated ISP does not like Linux OS's. At any rate I do not think it will hurt to do an automatic repair two or three times a month.

Before update Suse 10 today I did another automatic repair and found that again my OS had a Postfix problem that required another reinstall. What is the Postfix program about? Can my computer be hacked through Postfix?

My understanding is that Postfix is some sort of mail delivery subsystem, it interacts with different services to transport mail. So if you are using some sort of mail client e.g. Thunderbird, Kontact etc.. then Postfix would be used to grab the mail from yor email provider's servers.

For more info on Postfix, see this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postfix_(software)

Oh and it is "cracked" not "hacked". Cracking is breaking into other people's computers without their permission. Hacking is modifing computer hardware and software to suit your purposes, see this for a better explination

A 1000 Thank You's, AlexK!! The links are great. I have never used an Email transfer into my computer in either Linux or Windows. I leave it all in cyberspace with my Email accounts. That way if I have to reformat my hard drive I do not have to worry about the Email.
    Can Postfix be used to export Email as well as import it?

by exporting email, you mean to send email from your computer without using the web based mail client? if that is the case, you can send email, but exporting as in saving everything to a file to be backed up, that depends on which email client you use e.g. Kontact, Thunderbird etc.. (both of them do it as far as i know).

Sorry, AlexK a bad choice of words on my part. Can the Postfix program be used to reveal my computing history to another party?

If I were you I woundn't do a auto repair that often. I have had it say that the hard drive suse was installed on was a bad fstab entry and tried to delete it. You *should* be able to remove postfix from your computer through yast without causing any problems as you don't run a mail server and this sould also increase bootup and shutdown time (a little). And unless you have the ports open and postfix configured (I don't think the suse install does) then postfix won't be able to connect to the net at all. Just my .02
    Registered GNU/Linux User #399198
    'Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.' -Steven Wright

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2