Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
When I shut down a screen appears and then disappears very quickly. Most of the text on the screen is in green. However there are some red printed entries with ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Suse 10 Shut Down Screen Question

When I shut down a screen appears and then disappears very quickly. Most of the text on the screen is in green. However there are some red printed entries with the word " failure ". I would like to look at that screen to read what is not working; so that I may then pursue correcting the failures.
    Does anyone have any suggestions on just how to accomplish this??

You can take a look in /var/log/messages to see if there is any problem. be warned it is very large.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

I would not be concerned with this if I were you.
    When you shutdown, certain programs don't like to be shutdown, so an error is produced. They still get shutdown though.

And if you still want to see, just look in to /va/log, for any errors
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Thank You, AlexK!
    Thank You, Budman!

I noticed right away that the computer cooling fan was not working due to the run as quiet as possible feature within Suse 10. I deleted the run quiet feature; but I belive the damage has already been done as I never hear the fan running while using Suse 10. I will have to wait until I write a letter using Windows XP to see if the fan is able to run at all. With just a limited glance the log files are indeed very huge but it indicates a number of things are not functioning properly.
    I have a very bad feeling that I am in computer trouble again.

firstly open up your case and make sure that the fan is spinning during normal operation also, if it looks clogged, clean it with a q-tip or some other small object with a pointed head.

if you are overly concerned with some of the errors you see, post them here and I am sure that people will be able to point you in the right direction on how to get them fixed.

Somewhere in Suse 10 is an automatic repair as well as an OS removal; which I know is there because I used it to get rid of an installation that I somehow screwed up on. I know I must be getting real senile because I can not put my finger on just how I did that right now. Old Dog - New Tricks Syndrome!

So you want to attempt a repair install? Simply boot of the 1st installation cd/dvd, select install and then tell it to perform a "Repair Install".

If you don't want to take this path, post back some of the errors you are getting and we'll let you know if it is serious and if any better course of action can be taken rather than a repair install.

Thanks AlexK, 1. - invalid or obsolete lines in fstab- one removed! 2. - following cannot be mounted /dev/hda1, and /dev/hda5 ! 3. postfix problem - reinstalled ! I do not have any idea just what the two items are that cannot be mounted. I have a HP scanner hooked up to my computer that I can only run using my windows XP partition, could that be the device?

At any rate I have noticed that the Konqueror browser has lost its recent sluggishness!!

I spoke too soon!! Konqueror crashed signal11 ( SIGSEGV ) Pray tell, what does that mean?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast