Find the answer to your Linux question:
Suse 10 automatically detected and mounted both my flash drive and ipod - but how do I safely unmount/eject/remove them? Can I just pull them out on linux?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Ejecting flash drive & ipod

Suse 10 automatically detected and mounted both my flash drive and ipod - but how do I safely unmount/eject/remove them? Can I just pull them out on linux?
    10" Sony Vaio SRX99P 850MHz P3-M 256MB RAM 20GB HD : ArchLinux
    14" Dell Inspiron 1420N 2GHz Core2Duo 2GB RAM 160GB HD : Xubuntu

no, you can't just pull them out. to umount them safely you first need to know what they are listed as:

Code:
    fdisk -l
    (Little L)
    now, first you should get the hard drive partition(s) in your computer, then your flash drives. let's say the flash drive is listed as /dev/sda1. you simply do (as root):
    Code:
    umount /dev/sda1
    replace /dev/sda1 with whatever your flash drive is labelled as in fdisk.
    Here's why Linux is easier than Windows:
    Package Managers! Apt-Get and Portage (among others) allow users to install programs MUCH easier than Windows can.
    Hardware Drivers. In SuSE, ALL the hardware is detected and installed automatically! How is this harder than Windows' constant disc changing and rebooting?

Is there a way to do it with no command line? Like in windows you just click "safely remove" and in macs you drag the device to the trash can.
    10" Sony Vaio SRX99P 850MHz P3-M 256MB RAM 20GB HD : ArchLinux
    14" Dell Inspiron 1420N 2GHz Core2Duo 2GB RAM 160GB HD : Xubuntu

Just Joined!
    yes.. u can add a button or launcher to your GNOME panel..

On panel right click> add to panel > custom application launcher > in the command box in that type " eject \dev\sda " for ipod (its that name for my ipod.. u might have a different one).
    then it just ejects ipod.. so u can charge it.. but the "do not disconnect" disappears.

hope this helps.

If I'm remembering correctly, systems with hotplug will mount and umount devices for you without the need for the user to run the umount command. On Slackware 10.2 with hotplug enabled, a file browser window opens just after I have plugged in the usb device, showing me its contents. Countless times I've simply unplugged the usb device after using it without umounting the volume and haven't had any problems or loss of data. If I unplug the device, wait a few seconds, then plug it back in, the file browser opens again showing me the contents of the device. My thinking is, the usb device would not get re-mounted if it had not been unmounted before. It would just think it is still mounted. I presume hotplug is doing this for me. If I am mistaken about hotplug doing the mounting and unmounting automatically, someone please let me know.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Just Joined!

I add to the /etc/fstab file:
    /dev/sdb1 /media/USB subfs rw,nosuid,noatime,users 0 0
    for flashdrives and
    /dev/sdb2 /media/ipod subfs rw,nosuid,noatime,users 0 0
    for iPods

When you have you iPod and/or flashdrive plugged in type mount. that will tell you if they are sdb1 or sda1 or what ever, on mine it is sdb1 & sdb2 because of other drive in the system. on Suse by default flasdrives are mounted at /media/USB and ipods at /media/ipod.

the best way to umount usb devices is with eject at a command line. At a command line i use eject /dev/sdb1 or eject /media/USB for flashdrives

from the gui you can right click on the desktop and create a "link to device". Select MO Devices or even floppy device does not realy matter. then under the device tab you can select the device if you added the entry in the fstab file. on my sys sytem it shows as /dev/sdb1 /media/USB.

I hope that helps

You can get a servicemenu from KDE-Look.org to enable this. It was a mistake in Suse 10.0 that there actually are servicemenus to do this but they don't seem to work, as they still point to the fstab method and not udev. The safe eject is really just to close all threads/connections to the device. If you close all windows/applications accessing the device you should be able to remove it safely.

I think it was this one that worked for me - though there are a few floating around. Eject Servicemenu at kde-look.org