Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have novell suse linux 10 and I am really new at this, and I just downloaded quicktime 4 linux and it is a tar.bz2 file. I don't know how ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

installing quicktime

I have novell suse linux 10 and I am really new at this, and I just downloaded quicktime 4 linux and it is a tar.bz2 file. I don't know how to install it and I don't know whether to install it from a shell or terminal or whatever type of window.

help a poor newb.

install xine instead

Quote Originally Posted by jsoleus
    I have novell suse linux 10 and I am really new at this, and I just downloaded quicktime 4 linux and it is a tar.bz2 file. I don't know how to install it and I don't know whether to install it from a shell or terminal or whatever type of window. .
    If you are a newbie, then I don't recommend you try to compile a custom package, at least not until you have played with linux for a LONG time. Instead, I recommend you install and use xine, which will play qtime videos:

Download it from Packman (don't use the version that comes with Novell/SuSE):
    http://packman.links2linux.org/index...ction=124&vn=4

Also get:
    http://packman.links2linux.org/index...ction=125&vn=4

Before you try to install xine (from the rpm) be sure to first download and install the dependencies (from their rpms) listed on the above xine web pages. ... ie. ... w32codec-all, speex, libfame, libstk.

I also recommend you install the Packman "lame" and "mad" (you can search packman to find these packages).

Good luck!

Just Joined!
    thanks for the quick help, but everytime i try to install the rpm, yast2 says that there is a conflict, i have tried installing both the packages that you told me too, but it still did the same thing. none of them would install.

suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by jsoleus
    thanks for the quick help, but everytime i try to install the rpm, yast2 says that there is a conflict, i have tried installing both the packages that you told me too, but it still did the same thing. none of them would install.
    Two approaches to follow from here:
    a. install Smart Package Manager, and have it install the packages. It will sort your dependencies semi-automatically, on the fly, OR
    b. post the error messages you are getting re: the dependencies and we will help you out.

Needless to say, approach-a is probably the best and quickest. I typically install Smart within 15-minutes on a new system. For a newbie (with help on this forum) probably 1.5 hours. .... If you want to try "Smart", let me know, and I will walk you through its dependencies, and tell you where to download. .... You could also do a search on this forum and try and figure it out yourself. (not all that difficult - no one walked me thru the install first time I used it).