Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

If your wondering how to install the make and gcc packages I did this.
    I have suse 10.0 this may not work or will be different if you got a different verson of suse

1.went into yast
    2. typed root password
    3. clicked on software managment
    4. then under search I typed make
    5. then I selected the make package checked the box (see image at bottom of post)
    6. then press accept at the bottom right
    7. then the packages should download and install
    8. repeat steps 1-8 for the gcc package except type gcc in the search box

If no search results are found do this. I followed this Guide for adding installation sources

READ THIS LINK FIRST AND FOLLOW IT you can read mine if you have trouble or need clarfication.]

I'll just abverate the instructions on what I did.

1. Go to yast
    2. type your root password
    3. click installtion source
    4. It might ask you for some suse installation cds but ignore that.
    5. Click on media source cd and disable them and turn off refresh (you can re-enable them and turn on the re-fresh if you every need to use the suse cds)
    6. Then click add HTTP and under server name add this leave directory on server blank and leave authentication as anonymous
    7. then press ok
    8. Then turned on refresh
    9. Then click edit button and hit refresh
    10. Do the same thing for theses except when you click add select FTP instead of http

Then when you go into software managment you should you will see the sources update and then try searching for the gcc and make pakacages.

Also with these new installation sources it makes installing programs that are on the server easy to install. Like you can download mplayer or java and there are many more programs on these servers. Just go into software management and type the program your looking for in the search box and if it is on sever it will come up if not have to find it some ware eles.
    Attached Images Attached Images

thanks for the help guys, sorry Im so late getting back to you.

Im getting an error message when I try to install the nvidia drivers.

No precompiled kernal interface was found to match your kernal
    Would you like the installer to attempt to download a kernal interface for your kernal from the nvidia ftp site?

After I said OK I got this message:

Error: The kernal Header file /lib/modules/2.6.13-15-Default/build/include/linux/kernal.h does not exist.

Another thing stated was to make sure I have kernalsource.rpm installed, however I cannot find this rpm anywhere.

Bump, Just a bit of an update hopefully I can get TV Out working very soon and end this frustration. I think I have successfully installed the nvidia drivers. I was typing kernal instead of kernel and that is why i couldnt finf the kernel-source.rpm after I installed this I was able to install the drivers. But..... I still cant get TV-Out working its just the same messy output as before. How can I see if I have actually installed them?

4. $spacer_open
    Quote Originally Posted by LordG
    I think I have successfully installed the nvidia drivers. ... How can I see if I have actually installed them?
    When you first start up the graphical interface, do you see an Nvidia splash screen? If so, they're installed. Also, you can open up a console while you're in X Windows and run the glxgears program. It should give you a readout of your frames per second. If it's above 1,000 (varies by card) then that's a good indication your drivers are working.
    Registered Linux user #270181

I dont see any splash screen and I dont even know what X Windows is. I ran the glxgears program and got this:
    1932 frames in 5.0 seconds = 386.400 FPS
    2280 frames in 5.0 seconds = 456.000 FPS
    2520 frames in 5.0 seconds = 504.000 FPS
    8400 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1680.000 FPS
    8160 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1632.000 FPS
    4560 frames in 5.0 seconds = 912.000 FPS
    5331 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1066.200 FPS
    5349 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1069.800 FPS
    5280 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1056.000 FPS
    5165 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1033.000 FPS

Pacific Northwest, USA
    I have the EXACT same GFX as in your sig and I am getting the same framerates with current nvidia drivers, you seem to have the drivers installed
    Registered GNU/Linux User #399198
    'Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.' -Steven Wright