Find the answer to your Linux question:
We recently migrated from Windows to Suse Linux, copying files from Windows folders to the home folder in Linux. There were no problems with these folders when Linux is OS ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Windows virus multiplying while in Suse Environment?

We recently migrated from Windows to Suse Linux, copying files from Windows folders to the home folder in Linux.

There were no problems with these folders when Linux is OS is used. However, when I copied the folder to a Windows-based PC, there were about 60 types of viruses, trojan and worm in that folder, and the PC thereto got infected.

Am I correct in my assumption that the Windows virus multiply while in the Linux environment, although it can't do any damage there. What can we do to prevent or resolve this?

Quote Originally Posted by edna974
    Am I correct in my assumption that the Windows virus multiply while in the Linux environment, although it can't do any damage there. What can we do to prevent or resolve this?
    Yes, MS Windows viruses can be spread over a Linux network although they won't do any damage to the Linux boxes, as you said. There are antivirus programs available for Linux that can filter specifically for MS Windows viruses. I'm not terribly familiar with them, but you might start out by looking at F-Prot or ClamAV.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants