Find the answer to your Linux question:
please, I thought VOI was a sort of cheap digitized voice connection through something like a private chat room where one could mutually meet a contact at an agreed time. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Cool VOI - ???? what if...

please, I thought VOI was a sort of cheap digitized voice connection through something like a private chat room where one could mutually meet a contact at an agreed time. Am I totally wrong? Here in Oz we have to have a landline, broadband, an ISP and a VIO provider to use it. All I want is to meet my far away friend(s) at some cyberpoint and converse privately via 56K V90 modems and headsets + computer, without paying any more for the privilige. I have 10.0. any ideas??? tks rjp
    2.6GHz Celeron, 1GB, 160GB, 128Mb SuSe11.2; PCTV, GBit eth0 on P4PE, 10/100 eth1 <Ride to ride again>.

VoIP over a 56K Dial-up conection will not work all that well, you will find there there is awful lag on the connection. If you have broadband, i would reccommend using this, and then try and find a VoIP provider that allows conference calling, that way, all you need is to install a client on the PC, and then make a conferencce call to the people involved.

The Lag issue will be multiplied more so as you get more people into the conference call i would have thought.
    "I am not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings"
    Registered Linux user = #372327

Just Joined!
    isn't www.skype.com what y're looking for?

--paul

Quote Originally Posted by paulr
    isn't www.skype.com what y're looking for?
    Essentially yes, but Skype use proprietary software and protocols etc... i prefer someone like www.gossiptel.com I know they're UK based, but if you are only ever going to use it for computer->computer connections, it doesn't matter what landline number you get... personally i'd avoid skype, but as i say, yes, that is essentially what they're after
    "I am not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings"
    Registered Linux user = #372327