Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

ndiswrapper help please

i'm new to linux; this is my second install of suse 10.0 on my laptop (more on that in a bit).

using ndiswrapper, i followed all of the instructions here:
    http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Ndiswrapper

and still cannot get a connection. i know that the card is active because [I]iwlist[I] lists it as such, but after configuring it within yast and rebooting it fails to connect and i get a greyed-out "wireless disabled" entry in the networking drop-down menu.

the hell of it is i initially got it working great the first go-round, then felt like trying out fedora. i ultimately decided to switch back to suse, and now am stuck here.

i'm sure it would be gelpful to post the results of iwconfig here as well, but one of my troubleshooting "techniques" id not allowing myself networking ability until the problem is fixed, so the laptop prsently has no connection. if need be, i can re-connect it to provide more detailed information.

the wireless may be up but you also need to bring the interface up
    ~Mike ~~~ Forum Rules
    Testing? What's that? If it compiles, it is good, if it boots up, it is perfect. ~ Linus Torvalds
    http://loft306.org

you may also have to add a route to the internet for wireless to work. (SUSE doesn't seem to do this automaticially).
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by loft306
    the wireless may be up but you also need to bring the interface up
    please pardon my ignorance, but are you referring to the ifconfig wlan0 up command? i just tried that and it seemed to not have any effect, but i'm rebooting now so we'll see if that was the problem shortly.

i think also in my frustration last night i may have created an extra wireles configuration in yast. would i be better off deleting all of the configs there and starting over from scratch (admittedly, i did this once already).

ok, after rebooty there's no change. boo.
    maybe i misunderstood? is there any additional info i can post here that might give a clue as to the nature of this problem?

Quote Originally Posted by AlexK
    you may also have to add a route to the internet for wireless to work. (SUSE doesn't seem to do this automaticially).
    hm. unfortunately that one went over my head. how would one go about doing such a thing?

-->
    here's what i am:
    a jackass.

it's helpful to set the essid correctly in yast if you want to connect to your access point.

thanks, everyone, for your help.