Find the answer to your Linux question:
HI, I am about to install linux on my acer laptop(2310 travelmate).I have xp installed so far.I have 40 gb disc and so far it has 3 partitions:c,d and e ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

newcomer help

HI,
    I am about to install linux on my acer laptop(2310 travelmate).I have xp installed so far.I have 40 gb disc and so far it has 3 partitions:c,d and e with xp in c drive.I want to install linux on e drive which 15 gb space.How to do it?How many iso's I have to get of Suse linux to get linux working?
    Thanks,
    Regards,
    Amardeep

Quote Originally Posted by navan_banda
    HI,
    I am about to install linux on my acer laptop(2310 travelmate).I have xp installed so far.I have 40 gb disc and so far it has 3 partitions:c,d and e with xp in c drive.I want to install linux on e drive which 15 gb space.How to do it?How many iso's I have to get of Suse linux to get linux working?
    Thanks,
    Regards,
    Amardeep
    U need some partition manager such as Partition Magic 8.0 or Acronis Disk Director Suite so that u can create 14GB root(/) with resiserfs and 1 gb swap...
    make sure the partitions are made as desired(whatever size u want) b4 u pop in the SuSE CDs...then YaST will automatically pick them up....
    so no probs there...

Since from the CDs u will prolly install only a max of upto 8 GB...u can leave some space for ur /home partition(which saves ur settings..and in case u wanna reinstall suse just dont format the /home partition and ur settings will remain saved.. )

u do require all 5 CDs available from suse site and one additional add-on CD...tho not recommended becoz ..u can always update via YaST or smart

Hey instead of downloading the cds u can buy the Linux For you Magazine for the previous month ..they had bundled SuSE 10.1 OSS with it..

cheers