Find the answer to your Linux question:
ok so my dad just got a new laptop(inspiron e1505) and hes ben interested in linux so i got him the book linux for non geeks. anyways thats beside the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

intel pro wireless 3945abg

ok so my dad just got a new laptop(inspiron e1505) and hes ben interested in linux so i got him the book linux for non geeks. anyways thats beside the point. we sat down today and installed suse 10.1 using the all in 1 dvd. so were in linux and all is good except his wireless. i did a google and found this http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...d.php?t=436355 i installed the 2 additional packages and were able to get it to connect to the network named netgear(his home network) it has excelent signal strength but he cannot browse the internet. it is being assigned 192.168.1.2 as an ip over the wireless. this is not the ip it receives in windows(192.168.1.101) when we connect a cable to the onboard 10/100 port it is assigned 192.168.1.5 as an ip. both should be useable addresses. and thorugh the wired network he is able to surf the internet. however we still need to get the wireless working properly. if anyone has any insight into the issue we would greatly apreciate it.

I downloaded the Intel Pro Wireless ipw3945d daemon and it works well for me.

This SHOULD make it work.

1. Download and Install The Intell Pro Wireless ipw3945d Daemon
    ----It can Be Found At This Link - ftp://rpmfind.net/linux/SuSE-Linux/i....18-9.i586.rpm
    2. After you've installed it, restart the computer (i know it isn't always neccisary, but i had to do it before it would work for me)
    3. After The Laptop has booted back up, open a console window
    4. In the Console Window, Type "su" (which will then ask you for a password to login as the SuperUser, enter your root password)
    5. After logging in as the SU, type in "/sbin/ipw3945d" and it should output the driver information and whether or not it is running.
    6. If the driver is running, make sure you have the Wireless setup so you can see the network manager. Then simply wait for a moment (and it will connect automatically), or right click, and it will give you a drop down list... if you wait long enough and it DOESN"T connect, then it may show a list of several wireless networks in your area, and you'll have to choose from the list. If you don't feel like waiting... you can right click and hit "Choose Other Wireless Network" and then you'll get a window asking for the SSID and any possible encryption the network might be using. So enter the SSID, for example.. "HomeNetwork", and any encryption stuff that it might have, then you'll see that the network icon looks like a loading bar, and after a moment a window should pop up and say "Connection Established"

Just Joined!
    im not sure if thats the same package that i allready installed or not. i shall give that a go when i go over there next and see if it makes any diffrence. hopfully well get this thing working cus he realy doesnt like windows xp.

Just Joined!

Still Struggling..

I was referred to this highly helpful forum after a newsgroup posting. I have installed the Intel drivers as described above but I'm still struggling. Dmesg lists output from ipw3945 but there are obvious problems. Output follows (may have typos as I can't cut and paste until I have a network!)

ipw3945: Detected geography ABG (13 802.11bg channels, 23 802.11a channels)
    ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): eth0: link is not ready
    ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): eth0: link is not ready
    ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): eth1: link is not ready
    ipw3945: Microcode SW error detected. Restarting.
    ipw3945: Can't stop Rx DMA.
    ipw3945: Microcode SW error detected. Restarting.
    ipw3945: Can't stop Rx DMA.
    ipw3945: Detected geography ABG (13 802.11bg channels, 23 802.11a channels)ipw3945: Detected geography ABG (13 802.11bg channels, 23 802.11a channels)

I feel sure I must be quite close....

Enen if I get the card working, I'm still not sure I'd know how to access networkmanager to finish the job (I'm using Gnome deaktop).

Oh, and a PS. If I need to install any packages I won't have access to a CD/DVD drive. Can I tell YaST package manager to go get the required package from the web, rather than from an optical disk?

Just Joined!
    well the network manager should allow you to select a network by name that will auto configure once the device is installed and configured. also yes you can disable yast from trying to access cd dvd medium all packages are avalible on the suse file server so this is no problem.