Find the answer to your Linux question:
Let me start out.....If Linux were arid desert, I'd make it the greenest desert you'd ever seen. Trying to pry away from Windows and move to a "real OS" Downloaded ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

ATI Radeon 7000

Let me start out.....If Linux were arid desert, I'd make it the greenest desert you'd ever seen. Trying to pry away from Windows and move to a "real OS"

Downloaded and installed Suse 10.1. Setup went great except for a few things, with the major headache being the graphics. I can get all the processes to start up but when the XWindows terminal should boot, the screen goes blank.

Did some homework and at the grub menu i set "level 3", then tried to edit "sax2". Noticed that the system detected my ATI Radeon 7000 as ATI Radeon VE. Hmmm I think, so I found the problem. Did some more homework and found that the installed drivers won't support this video card, so I need the propietory drivers and the sequence for installing them from the cmd prompt as root.

Any responses

Hi - Not sure if those drivers are available from the ATI site, but if they are download them and we can take it from there. As far as I remember the stages are:
    • download them somewhere easy to get to;
    • change the permissions on the file using the chmod command: chmod +x <filename> ;
    • run the installation script as root.

If I was you though, I'd buy a new Nvidia card and use that instead.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Quote Originally Posted by fingal
    Hi - Not sure if those drivers are available from the ATI site, but if they are download them and we can take it from there. As far as I remember the stages are:
    • download them somewhere easy to get to;
    • change the permissions on the file using the chmod command: chmod +x <filename> ;
    • run the installation script as root.

If I was you though, I'd buy a new Nvidia card and use that instead.
    The drivers are not avaiable from ATI website for older cards. They just started doing Linux Dev. I wanted to get scripts which are already written. I know they exist, but I dont have much time to scan the net for the good ones.

I think this is the site you are looking for

http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/

Quote Originally Posted by bigtomrodney
    I think this is the site you are looking for

http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/
    I am close to just packing it in. I have donequite a bit of reading and even more tweaking with the Linux.

I startup at level 3
    login as user and switch to root

I had previously acquired the Mesa files; MesaLib-6.5.zip, MesaDemos-6.5.zip and MesaGLUT-6.5.zip on my USB flash drive. I mounted this via the console when I booted into linux, then copied them to a temp folder in the home directory and unzipped them.

My big problem is the compilation and installation. Let me be frank, I dont know how to use the "git" and "cvs" commands. I am supposed to build the DRI by getting the source trees using these commands. DRM source tree is "git clone git://anongit/freedesktop.org/git/mesa/drm" and clean Mesa source tree is "cvs -dserver:anonymous@anoncvs.freedesktop.org:/cvs/mesa login".

All my work via the internet has be first be done from my Windows XP login, then I have to reboot and transfer stuff to the Linux drives. (No swap space).
    Recap: since I got the Mesa files, I think I have those already. Accroding to the instructions my distribution (Suse 10.1) may have the kernel modules and support library for the DRI.

If I can get those (I have the Mesa already if I am not mistaken) then I should be able to follow the remainder of the instructions. It also calls for a DRI-enabled X server, not a clue what they are, but I have used sax2 to view video configurations in the past.

Those website (virtually all the Linux ones) are as roundabout as a politicians election promises. I am at my wits end, but I hold on, cause I can't afford another video card right now and I want this Radeon 7000 to work

Anyone with a clue on how I should proceed?

Well, I have this problem in th bag...Solved it. Played around with a few things and realised that the frequencies the OS auto detectedd for the monitor was the problem. I lowered them and managed to load the xwindow

Just Joined!
    Hi,

I have exactly same problem, could you please publish your xorg.conf file, and tell us a bit more about what you have done to get it work?

Thanks in advance!
    Daniel

Just Joined!
    I was having this problem with our Dell Poweredge 1800 server after installing SuSe 10.1. The windowing system would crash with a "No devices detected" error in /var/log/xorg.0.log

The driver chosen by the installation was radeon. I changed this to "ati" in /etc/X11/xorg.conf and now it works.

It's a server, so I only need the windowing system occasionally. For other purposes, YMMV.

Just Joined!

Radeon 7000

First of all: thanx for the good information Ifound in this forum.
    I would be really happy if you could post your xorg.conf file here. I am just unabel to activate my Radeon 7000 with Suse10.1.

Just Joined!
    you know what's crazy? those are the same card as far as I know. all the linux distros I've installed have had a driver for my card, and I have seen the driver say something like ATI Radeon 7000/VE. Apparently the ve is the dual display edition of the 7000. my point is that the driver should work on your system... using suse 10.1 the driver works perfectly fine without any extra work. i'm using it right now.