Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've never had problems running the smart gui before, but today I can't get it to work. I keep getting the following message just before it crashes: Traceback (most recent ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

Error Message with Smart Gui

I've never had problems running the smart gui before, but today I can't get it to work. I keep getting the following message just before it crashes:

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "/usr/lib64/python2.4/site-packages/smart/interfaces/gtk/interactive.py", line 171, in callback
    exec code in globals

File "<callback>", line 1, in ?

File "/usr/lib64/python2.4/site-packages/smart/interfaces/gtk/interactive.py", line 402, in updateChannels
    self._ctrl.reloadChannels(channels, caching=NEVER)

File "/usr/lib64/python2.4/site-packages/smart/control.py", line 375, in reloadChannels
    self._cache.load()

File "/usr/lib64/python2.4/site-packages/smart/backends/rpm/metadata.py", line 143, in load
    for event, elem in cElementTree.iterparse(file, ("start", "end")):

File "<string>", line 64, in __iter__

SyntaxError: not well-formed (invalid token): line 15997, column 1228
    I was mostly just curious if anyone has had similar problems? I think I saw something similar on the smart website.

Linux User
    I get a similar error message from the command line:

Traceback (most recent call last): ################################### ( 59%)
    File "/usr/bin/smart", line 194, in ?
    main(sys.argv[1:])
    File "/usr/bin/smart", line 167, in main
    exitcode = iface.run(opts.command, opts.argv)
    File "/usr/lib64/python2.4/site-packages/smart/interface.py", line 53, in run
    result = _command.main(self._ctrl, opts)
    File "/usr/lib64/python2.4/site-packages/smart/commands/update.py", line 77, in main
    ctrl.reloadChannels()
    File "/usr/lib64/python2.4/site-packages/smart/control.py", line 375, in reloadChannels
    self._cache.load()
    File "/usr/lib64/python2.4/site-packages/smart/backends/rpm/metadata.py", line 275, in load
    prvargs, reqargs, upgargs, cnfargs)
    File "/usr/lib64/python2.4/site-packages/smart/backends/rpm/base.py", line 115, in equals
    if (sreq.name == oreq.name and
    UnicodeDecodeError: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xc3 in position 2: ordinal not in range(12
    Perhaps I should try to reinstall it.

Linux User
    Found the solution if anyone has a similar problem:

http://tracker.labix.org/issue196

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Thanks guys. I got the same problem and removing the cache under /var/lib/smart/channels/ did work!

Linux User
    Yeah, there was a new problem just the last couple of days with Smart updating. One of the SuSE repositories had a corrupt file in it (relating to the way it was written not being formatted for XML). They've fixed it, so running
    Code:
    sudo rm /var/lib/smart/channels/*
    Should wipe everything out (but it won't get rid of the channels themselves) and you can start over by restarting smart and updating again.

Alternately, the command "smart clean" run as root works as well.