Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Just to let everyone know. I have also been having problems with widescreen. I first tried Kubuntu and a utility called 915 resolution (which I now know only works with ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

This Might Help

Just to let everyone know. I have also been having problems with widescreen.
    I first tried Kubuntu and a utility called 915 resolution (which I now know only works with Intel chipsets) without success and also of screwed up screens and having to use vi to edit xorg.conf (shudder)

However I am now using the same screen with SuSE 10.2 on a different box which has an on board nvidia 6800 graphics chip.
    First install failed due to 'out of range' error from the monitor (I should have tested the config during the install), but after reinstall and a bit of fine adjustment I now have a fully working, pin sharp setup.

So in case it's useful to others here are my settings in glorious detail:

Monitor: Advent MW19E-ABA, 19" widescreen
    Graphics: nVidia GeForce 6100

Detailed graphics settings from SuSE:
    Monitor - LCD 1440x900 @ 70Hz
    (note that changing to 'LCD' was important as it did not work otherwise)
    WXGA 16.7 Mio 24 bit colours
    Diagonal 19", 16/10 Aspect ratio
    X Axis: 409mm
    YAxis: 256mm

Note that this monitor seems very fussy about x/y axes as anything wider resulted in 'out of range'. I left it as shown even though there is a 4mm black strip each side of the picture as it's not really noticeable. This is probably why the SusE auto select tool did not get it right. It's noticeable that Advent is not listed as a manufacturer and the one it did select did not work. Choosing LCD fixed that although I am not sure what setting changed, I suspect it was the X/Y axes.

Anyway, job done!

I hope it's useful

spegru

Quote Originally Posted by spegru
    Just to let everyone know. I have also been having problems with widescreen.
    I first tried Kubuntu and a utility called 915 resolution (which I now know only works with Intel chipsets) without success and also of screwed up screens and having to use vi to edit xorg.conf (shudder)

However I am now using the same screen with SuSE 10.2 on a different box which has an on board nvidia 6800 graphics chip.
    First install failed due to 'out of range' error from the monitor (I should have tested the config during the install), but after reinstall and a bit of fine adjustment I now have a fully working, pin sharp setup.

So in case it's useful to others here are my settings in glorious detail:

Monitor: Advent MW19E-ABA, 19" widescreen
    Graphics: nVidia GeForce 6100

Detailed graphics settings from SuSE:
    Monitor - LCD 1440x900 @ 70Hz
    (note that changing to 'LCD' was important as it did not work otherwise)
    WXGA 16.7 Mio 24 bit colours
    Diagonal 19", 16/10 Aspect ratio
    X Axis: 409mm
    YAxis: 256mm

Note that this monitor seems very fussy about x/y axes as anything wider resulted in 'out of range'. I left it as shown even though there is a 4mm black strip each side of the picture as it's not really noticeable. This is probably why the SusE auto select tool did not get it right. It's noticeable that Advent is not listed as a manufacturer and the one it did select did not work. Choosing LCD fixed that although I am not sure what setting changed, I suspect it was the X/Y axes.

Anyway, job done!

I hope it's useful

spegru

Glad you got it working. You might want to try nano as a text editor for small quick edits. vi is a great but it has a very steep learning curve. nano is a simple easy to use text editor.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2