Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hey all. i am having a problem with imap (i think). I have a box with Suse9.1 enterprise installed. postfix is installed and up and running cause i can send ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

imap/pop3 on Suse9.1

Hey all. i am having a problem with imap (i think).

I have a box with Suse9.1 enterprise installed. postfix is installed and up and running cause i can send mail from my clients no prblem, but when i try to retrieve the mail (with outlook, OE, Thunderbird, Evolution) they all give the same error:

"Error sending username - ERR Unknown AUTHORIZATION state command"

When i "Tail" the mail logs it looks like this:

"Sep 13 11:31:15 aux-pegasys ipop3d[30585]: Logout user=??? host=IT.pegasys [192.168.0.229]."

If anyone could shed some light on this for me, i would really appreciate it.

TIA

Just Joined!
    Can I start with the basics? Have you ever used imap before? Or you sure it's supported by your mail server?

i think it is more the pop3 part. i have setup postfix before but on mandrake 9 never on suse. everything seems right. not getting any errors in the logs just that on line in mail.info

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by silence
    i think it is more the pop3 part. i have setup postfix before but on mandrake 9 never on suse. everything seems right. not getting any errors in the logs just that on line in mail.info
    I don't quite follow here. POP3 and IMAP are mutually exclusive, two different protocols that do the same thing. So, are you trying to retrieve your mail with POP3 or with IMAP? I responded to your post because I've been using IMAP for years and most people don't, so I thought I'd try to help. I haven't used POP3 in forever, so I might defer to another user if that's the protocol you're using.

Oh, and if you knew all that and I just didn't follow what you were saying, don't get all mad, ok? Some of these forums are really ... combative. I'm just trying to level-set us.

no prob. i am just as knew to this forum stuff....so bare with me

i never used imap before, maybe now is a good time to start. but it is just a 10gig hdd so it might not last too long.

but still don't understand y Suse doesn't want to work with the pop3d. i am sure it is a securty setting somewhere i just don't know where to look.

Just Joined!
    OK, so you're saying that you tried to configure your mail client e-mail account(s) with both imap and pop3 settings and neither worked?

I could understand imap failing, as many mail servers don't support it. If you look at your account settings, make sure you configured as a pop3 account. If that's still not working, then let us all know.

Just Joined!
    I just realized something, I was addressing this from purely a client perspective.

You're running your own mail server, aren't you?

If so, this question is much .. bigger, than I thought.

if i could just type with 2 hands this would go much faster

everything is just setup for pop3, no imap. all the user accounts are correct (username and password etc.)

one one of the forums some1 said i should use ssl to fetch the mail. but that stil doest explain y normal fetching wont work?? or am i just being ignorant?

Just Joined!
    Check out the last post in this one, the guy had two daemons running...

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/sus...mail-help.html

i saw that, but my knowledge is limited. how do i check if i have more then one daemon running? i think he is using Qpopper. i also didn't install other pop3 deamons....just the one thap comes with the imap program

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast