Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
fixed it in 2 hrs, easy, scrapped the suse and installed Ubuntu, shared the fat32 drive, Ubuntu downloaded and installed samba for me. connecting to my xp box shares was ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

fixed it in 2 hrs, easy, scrapped the suse and installed Ubuntu,
    shared the fat32 drive, Ubuntu downloaded and installed samba for me.
    connecting to my xp box shares was easy, no headaches there.
    opened firefox and saw a link to Ubuntu forums, first search gave me this "howto"
    http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthre...samba+share+xp

followed the instructions to the letter and bingo, my xp box connects to the linux samba shares and jobs a good un.

Now mongoose i dont suggest you scrap your suse and install Ubuntu, if i were you i would remove samba using Yast, then follow the instructions in the link above. I did read somewhere it's better to download a new samba rather than just use the one in the distro as you dont know how its been altered.

good luck

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu
    Yes - post#3. And make certain you are network sharing the directory on WinXP (and that you do NOT have password required set) and that your firewall allows access to the Linux PC's IP-address.

Directories have been shared and are accessible from other Windows Machines. There is no password set on the system I am trying to gain access to.

I'm pretty sure my Firewall (McAffee) isn't interfering - as I have been able to gain access in the past. Any ideas on how I can check this?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by ihatedeskjets
    fixed it in 2 hrs, easy, scrapped the suse and installed Ubuntu,
    shared the fat32 drive, Ubuntu downloaded and installed samba for me.
    connecting to my xp box shares was easy, no headaches there.
    opened firefox and saw a link to Ubuntu forums, first search gave me this "howto"
    http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthre...samba+share+xp

followed the instructions to the letter and bingo, my xp box connects to the linux samba shares and jobs a good un.

Now mongoose i dont suggest you scrap your suse and install Ubuntu, if i were you i would remove samba using Yast, then follow the instructions in the link above. I did read somewhere it's better to download a new samba rather than just use the one in the distro as you dont know how its been altered.

good luck
    Thanks for that. Funny you should talk about scrapping SuSE for Ubuntu though.. I scrapped Ubuntu for Suse!

suggestion

Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose2_0_0_0
    I'm pretty sure my Firewall (McAffee) isn't interfering - as I have been able to gain access in the past. Any ideas on how I can check this?
    Having a firewall block access is one of the most common reasons for a connection to be blocked.

Do you have a windows boot partition on this PC? If so, boot to windows and can you access the windows PC from the linux PC's "window's boot partition".

did you try smb?

Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose2_0_0_0
    Directories have been shared and are accessible from other Windows Machines. There is no password set on the system I am trying to gain access to.
    Did you try "smb" from konqueror like I suggested?

Just Joined!

Cool

The first thing to check is that your network is running by opening a terminal window on the Linux box and type ...ping...followed by the ip address of the Windows box.If you get a reply type ...ping followed by the netbios name [ the computer name ] and then do the same from Windows XP by opening a command prompt.Also check to see that you have the SMB daemon running at start-up by opening Yast>system>system services (run level)>simple mode and make sure smb is enabled.Hope this may help.

Just Joined!
    where can i find 'smb.config'

thanks

Just Joined!
    smb.conf is in /etc/samba/ you'll need root access to edit it, if your logged in as an ordinary user then open a term and type su root enter your root password when prompted, then type kedit etc/samba/smb.conf (for kde desktop) or gedit etc/samba/smb.conf (if your using gnome desktop)

works for me, but i'm a noob so just try it and see.

Just Joined!

Smile

I've just re-installed suse 10, and after struggling yet again to get samba to share the linux box fat32 drive i almost gave up. But after reading 1 last time the "Howto" in the link above I noticed it says "make sure your username and password are the same as on the xp box"

I had the same username on both boxes but passwords were different, so on linux box In a terminal I changed my samba password by typing smbpasswd to the same pass on my xp box.

Bingo, from my xp box I can now see the linux shares.

Just Joined!
    Sorry to keep "bumping" this thread but does anybody know why my samba shares dont work on boot up ?

when I boot my suse box then try to access to shared drive from my xp box it says no network found !. In suse system services samba is enabled but with a * next to it. I have to restart it then go to network services / samba and re-save it all. Now the share is available. I've looked everywhere but cannot find out why it doesnt run at boot up.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast