Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Ok, I'm using SuSE 10.1 (GNOME Interface) and I used to be able to access the Windows systems on my network. However - I can't seem to do this anymore. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Accessing Windows Computers Through Network

Ok, I'm using SuSE 10.1 (GNOME Interface) and I used to be able to access the Windows systems on my network. However - I can't seem to do this anymore.

Every time I attempt to browse a system I'm given a box with 3 fields: User, Domain and Password. The User field has my username pre-written, the Domain box has TUX-NET pre-written in it and the password box is empty.

Can anyone advise me what to do here? This even happens when I'm logged in as root.
    (Also, my Windows network does not use a domain but the workgroup name is HOMENET).

Thanks

Just Joined!

Similar Problem

i have 2 pcs - one XP Pro and this one -- Suse 10.1.

i can access smb share from linux box and add/remove files fine. i can also see linux box share fine from XP box too and add files there.

but when i try to access XP share from LInux box, an authentication window pops up and asks for user and passwd! so frustrating! i do not know how to correct this. does it have to with windows? or not having a samba user account on linux box not matching with xp box user account? i have disable all firewalls.

If there any Linux gods out there, please help.

here is my smb.config file.

# Samba config file created using SWAT
    # from 127.0.0.1 (127.0.0.1)
    # Date: 2006/09/17 00:25:53

[global]
    workgroup = MSHOME
    interfaces = ETH0
    security = SHARE
    smb ports = 139
    socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192
    add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd -c Machine -d /var/lib/nobody -s /bin/false %m$
    os level = 2
    preferred master = No
    local master = No
    domain master = No
    usershare max shares = 100

[grasshopper]
    path = /home/grasshopper/Documents/
    read only = No
    guest ok = Yes

--------------------------------

winxp from linux

Quote Originally Posted by bbgun
    but when i try to access XP share from LInux box, an authentication window pops up and asks for user and passwd!
    Make certain you don't have your XP box set up such that it requires a username and password.

I access my wife's WinXP from SuSE Linux by opening a konqueror browser instance and in the location bar typing "smb://192.168.123.142" where 192.168.123.142 is the IP address of her winXP pc.

She has also made certain her firewall does not block my smb access.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

Removed Password on XP Box

<<"smb://192.168.123.142" where 192.168.123.142 is the IP address of her winXP pc.>>

i removed all passwds on xp box and i typed in the xp ip in konquerer (192.168.1.11)and it still asks for a password. i will restart the xp box and try again.

could you by chance post your smb.conf file to see if i am missing something?

thnx.

Just Joined!
    The only way smb has ever worked for me is if at least one folder on the XP machine is set as shared ( right click folder and set to shared under "share and security)

Just Joined!
    I've recently installed suse 10 using gnome desktop, I can access my xp pro shares by entering my xp pro username, xp is on workgroup, and my password for the xp pro box but sorry I dont know how make it connect without entering a user / domain / pass combination.

My problem is from xp to suse it's a different story.
    My fat32 drive in my suse box is mounted by fstab using:

/dev/sdb5 /media/disk-1 vfat umask=000 0 0

Then I did a chmod -R 777 media/disk-1 and this altered all the permissions so anyone can write to it etc etc.
    But when I try to map it as a network drive on my xp box sometimes the suse box appears and the drive is in the list, but MOST of the time the suse box just isnt there ? like samba decided it was going to stop or something.

I have no firewalls, both boxes have static ip's, connected through a router with with an adsl modem hanging on a spare port. I can ping each box etc.

This is so unreliable I cannot use it.

I've searched the forums and googled, there are 1000's of people like me who are having trouble with simple file sharing between systems using samba, does anybody know if there is an alternative to samba or are we stuck with it? I tried NFS server but it wont start, some trouble with Insserv or something.

Any ideas plz ?

Just Joined!

Reinstalling Samba

does anyone know how to UNINSTALL (and then REINSTALL) samba so that i can start all over?

i think my problem is coming from the main xp box because even when i had 2 xp machines networked together at one point, it still would only provide one(1) way share access.

Just Joined!
    Hey, so er - does anyone have a solution for me?

Post#3 has your solution

Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose2_0_0_0
    Hey, so er - does anyone have a solution for me?
    Yes - post#3. And make certain you are network sharing the directory on WinXP (and that you do NOT have password required set) and that your firewall allows access to the Linux PC's IP-address.

alternatives to samba

Quote Originally Posted by ihatedeskjets
    does anybody know if there is an alternative to samba or are we stuck with it? I tried NFS server but it wont start, some trouble with Insserv or something.
    You could install openssh on your SuSE. Make certain your SuSE firewall is set to allow ssh access. Then download the WinXP program putty and use it to access the Linux PC using ssh.
    http://graphics.stanford.edu/lab/net/putty.html

Another approach is to install NX server on Linux and an NX client on WinXP.
    http://www.nomachine.com/
    I haven't tried this myself (it currently looks like too much work for someone who is lazy like me).

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast