Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Iīm using Suse 10.1 on a Vaio laptop fs660/w. it has 1 memory stick on it but i canīt find the device anywhere. I know it should be /dev/sda1 but ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Memory Stick Problem

Iīm using Suse 10.1 on a Vaio laptop fs660/w. it has 1 memory stick on it but i canīt find the device anywhere. I know it should be /dev/sda1 but i don't see it. how can i put that to work?

Linux User
    It should automount. Look for it in the /media directory.

Also, you can see if it's listed as connected to a usb port by entering at a terminal:
    Code:
    lsusb
    Also, you could say that it's at "dev/sda1" but you really have to mount it to be able to use it. In order to mount it (if it doesn't automount), you should create a directory for it as a mountpoint. I created traveldrive/ at /mnt/traveldrive (just to be totally explicit, I used the following command):

Code:
    sudo mkdir /mnt/traveldrive
    so that I could mount the usb traveldrive with the following command (again, as root):
    Code:
    mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt/traveldrive
    You have to specify the type and where it goes. If you receive a message that reads something like "It's already mounted" then SuSE automatically mounted it (which happens on one of my computers) and you just have to figure out where SuSE mounted it (probably in the /media directory).

Just Joined!
    I tried to mount /dev/sda1 but it says the device do not exist.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Hi !!

lets check the device name.... plug-in memory stick and type this command in terminal...

$ tail -s 3 -f /var/log/messages

This command will poll the kernel's message log every three seconds, and displays the latest messages the kernel has spat out. check the assigned device name. Generally, the device name is sda1... let c whats in your case.....

.... casper ....
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    it shows

Sep18 slphome /usr/sbin/cron[7130] : (sXXXX) CMD (/usr/bin/sonyfn)

It appears on 10 lines just changing the [7XXX] number

My memory stick here is mounted from /dev/sda (not /dev/sda1)

You need to find out the name of the device you are using. It will depend on many parameters, like your system itself, the number of devices plugged to your system ...

As "root", I normally make a hardware browser. This let's me know about all of the devices recognized by my system. The it a matter of mount the correct device at the right mount place.

Cheers

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by fatra2
    You need to find out the name of the device you are using. It will depend on many parameters, like your system itself, the number of devices plugged to your system ...

As "root", I normally make a hardware browser. This let's me know about all of the devices recognized by my system. The it a matter of mount the correct device at the right mount place.

Cheers
    On Yast Hardware, how can i identified the device for the memory stick? I looked everyone of it but no one shows something like /dev/xxx? Please help

It's /dev/sda - try it!

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by ironduke
    It's /dev/sda - try it!

when i try it, i got the following:
    bash: cd: /dev/sda: No such file or directory

it happens with sda1 as well. looks like i have to create the sda device, but how do i do that, and how can i identifie the memory stick device on my system?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast