Find the answer to your Linux question:
heh, not had my SUSE 10.1 installation up all that long and I've already managed to break it... ... basically, in the YaST control centre some options when selected just ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Broke it already

heh, not had my SUSE 10.1 installation up all that long and I've already managed to break it... ...

basically, in the YaST control centre some options when selected just open up another interface and sit there doing nothing. This is prob. caused by something I did when attempting to fix the on-line update, seemed to start occuring after an RPM install seemed to crash when it was running. Any ideas for a quick fix or should I just re-install and start again?

If an rpm failed run this in the terminal as root -
    Code:
    rpm --rebuilddb
    That would explain YaST failing with the Software Management module. If it's anything else, maybe try opening a terminal and running YaST in CLI mode -
    Code:
    yast

Just Joined!
    seem to be getting somewhere with that... thanks at least YaST in CLI mode doesn't crash and sit there and refuse to close, would a reboot have the same effect as
    rpm --rebuilddb?

no, because it's all stored in files. if you reboot, the files will still be there.
    Here's why Linux is easier than Windows:
    Package Managers! Apt-Get and Portage (among others) allow users to install programs MUCH easier than Windows can.
    Hardware Drivers. In SuSE, ALL the hardware is detected and installed automatically! How is this harder than Windows' constant disc changing and rebooting?