Find the answer to your Linux question:
After installing Windows Vista on HDD, Grub has disappeared. The hdd was dual-boot WinXP + SuSE 10.1, with XP installed first and SuSE installed second. Everything was operational. Recently, I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Question Grub gone after Vista install

After installing Windows Vista on HDD, Grub has disappeared.

The hdd was dual-boot WinXP + SuSE 10.1, with XP installed first and SuSE installed second. Everything was operational. Recently, I wanted to upgrade WinXP to Vista RC1--but not enough room on the partition, so I installed it to a third partition:
    • Partition 1 (hda1) - WinXP ~10 Gb
    • Partition 2 (hda?) - SuSE ~20 Gb
    • Partition 3 (hda7) - Vista ~10 Gb

This naturally removed grub.

I inserted the SuSE install CD1 and walked through the options to repair -> Advanced / 'do it yourself' -> and then selected all the possible combinations to reinstall grub, except the ones that would potentially render my other OSes inoperable (i'd be more specific, but I only have one PC so I can't read off the procedure since I'm currently in Windows).

I keep getting an error, I believe Error 21, which states that hda5 cannot be found. I tried auto-fixing the partition tables, searching for lost partitions, and a few other things. Also of note, I tried to write it to several floppies, all of which failed.

I know that it is the damned Vista that has broken my bootloader, and MS' propensity for refusing to play nicely with others.

Could someone please tell me how to restore GRUB as my bootloader, without having to reformat or do anything that would lead to data loss?

You can use your Suse CD/DVD to boot your existing Suse installation. Then go to YAST, and setup the bootloader from there.
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Hi !

do you have any LiveCD ?? i need output of "fdisk -l".....

EDIT: yes ! you can boot up installed OS and fix boot loader...... if nothing works, post the output of fdisk -l

.... casper ....
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First