Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, Installed Suse 10.1 on my Dell 700m last night. So far everything works except the wireless card. And it seems that no one else has a problem with it. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Dell 700m's Wireless card battles Suse 10.1

Hello, Installed Suse 10.1 on my Dell 700m last night. So far everything works except the wireless card. And it seems that no one else has a problem with it. Which either means I'm ridiculous, or I'm unique in my problems. Maybe both. The 700m has the Intel® PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection in it, the device is detected, drivers seem to be running, but it does not see any access points, nor do I get my the-wireless-card-running LED to be on. I made sure the card was enabled in the BIOS. I can't find anything else to mess with to try to get it working. Any suggestions? It doesn't help that I have no idea what I'm doing in Linux. Thanks for your time.

-Mike

Hi mikerbot, could you post the results of these commands:
    Code:
    dmesg | grep eth
    iwconfig
    ifconfig
    route
    ping -c 4 your_router
    ping -c 4 www.google.com
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Just Joined!

I did it!

I did it! Took me a full night and day, but by god I feel so much better. I discovered a few things that might help other newbies. Suse doesn't install much if you just push next. I installed everything having to do with wireless cards in the sotware manager. Then make sure to install GCC and the kernel source. I found that a search for instanceses of the file ieee80211.h (old subsystem that needs replacing) in the root acount will actually work, unlike in your user acount.

http://susewiki.org/index.php?title=...wireless_cards

This guide is awesome, make sure to actually read all of it. I also made sure to turn off my ethernet card from the BIOS (good time to make sure its actually on) before testing the results, figured it couldn't hurt to reduce the variables. I also found that its much easy to un-tar things from a GUI, and then to make and make install them from the terminal. And I'm not sure vodka is an effective nootropic for linux installs. I think it would be better to go with some red wine. Oh, and the man file for iwconfig sucks. Better to google search to get a full discription of all the options.

This is good newbie practice. I feel confident. Perhaps the disgusting anti-placenta that is Microsoft will finally be off my new born skin.