Find the answer to your Linux question:
SUSE 10.0 Kafeine 0.8xxx plays part of DVD, then stops at end of 1st section of main movie (chpt 1-3) with Navigator: no data/inadequate permissions Cannot play beyond here. Oddessy ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Question DVD Playback error

SUSE 10.0 Kafeine 0.8xxx plays part of DVD, then stops at end of 1st section of main movie (chpt 1-3) with Navigator: no data/inadequate permissions Cannot play beyond here.
    Oddessy DVD with Armand Assante, Area 4 DVD in Area 1 with libdvdcss2

other dvd's work, was cheap, unused til now-faulty? How do I prove it good/bad? Advice pls, rjp
    2.6GHz Celeron, 1GB, 160GB, 128Mb SuSe11.2; PCTV, GBit eth0 on P4PE, 10/100 eth1 <Ride to ride again>.

Quote Originally Posted by 44139
    SUSE 10.0 Kafeine 0.8xxx plays part of DVD, then stops at end of 1st section of main movie (chpt 1-3) with Navigator: no data/inadequate permissions Cannot play beyond here.
    Oddessy DVD with Armand Assante, Area 4 DVD in Area 1 with libdvdcss2

other dvd's work, was cheap, unused til now-faulty? How do I prove it good/bad? Advice pls, rjp
    have you tried starting kaffeine as root or try using mplayer i find it better when it comes to dvd play back

Just Joined!

Xine does it

Hi,

Kaffeine may be the prefered DVD-player in KDE, but you can also opt for Xine, on which Kaffeine is based.
    Xine can be found in Yast.

I got a .wmv file from a friend, Kaffeine stopped in the middle , Xine played it all.
    Give it a try, just install it and see.

Linux Newbie

Xine?

tried Xine, immediate main movie stream error:
    navigator packet error & stop.
    didn't even get to see chapt 1-3 again. Haven't re-installed libdvdcss2 yet, but may try it. nice looking program tho'! Susspect config error, using beginner defaults.

looked at logs, messages was list of single char on each line, with odd full stops a, n, d, o's mainly.
    trace sim, middle list empty. Could provide list.
    any ideas?
    2.6GHz Celeron, 1GB, 160GB, 128Mb SuSe11.2; PCTV, GBit eth0 on P4PE, 10/100 eth1 <Ride to ride again>.

Just Joined!

Lightbulb Xine & libdvdcss2?

Hi again,

Quote Originally Posted by 44139
    tried Xine, immediate main movie stream error:
    navigator packet error & stop.
    didn't even get to see chapt 1-3 again. Haven't re-installed libdvdcss2 yet, but may try it. nice looking program tho'! Susspect config error, using beginner defaults.

looked at logs, messages was list of single char on each line, with odd full stops a, n, d, o's mainly.
    trace sim, middle list empty. Could provide list.
    any ideas?
    I'm not a DVD guru at all. So, these are just some options that occur to me. First, I have libdvdcss, not libdvdcss2. Did not even know there was a libdvdcss2 . But as you state that other DVD's play without problems, you may just not bother.
    Second, your DVD could be faulty.. shhh! Too easy, ain't it? But can you play it anywhere else?
    Third, did you experiment a bit with the DMA modus for your DVD drive? You find that in Yast - hardware - IDE dma modus.

But the bottom line is: if you can play other DVD's, and this one not, suspect this one.