Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Alright, I am currently using SUSE 10.1 and I've been using it off and on for a few months, so I'm pretty much still a newb. Ok, my problem is ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question I can't take it anymore...

Alright, I am currently using SUSE 10.1 and I've been using it off and on for a few months, so I'm pretty much still a newb. Ok, my problem is this. I set up Suse and set up the wireless internet and everything, worked flawlessly, as it has all of the other times I've set it up the past few months. However, here's the problem. My assumption was that it was something I downloaded from YaST that did this, but I'll let you tell me. I've restarted the computer and turned it off multiple times and when I restart it, the internet works fine. However, as has happened everytime I've used SUSE, one day I'll turn off the computer and when I start it back up, the network manager says it is disconnected. When I go to the network card, it has an added device that wasnt' there all of the other times. I simply tried to delete it but it wouldnt' delete. So, having experienced this problem many times, I took all of the information from the original wireless device and copied it to the new one. However, it still won't connect. Please help me, I love SUSE but this problem is driving me crazy!!!

Just Joined!
    I've tried everything, if anyone knows and can help me with my problem, please...

Just Joined!
    Is your wireless card by any chance a usb device? Have you plugged in another usb device then removed it but Suse thinks it is still connected.

ed

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Nope, it's not a USB network card.

I had this problem a while back. Are you using ndiswrapper or are linux drivers available. Also, this didn't work for me, but some other posts i read at the time said to move the card to a different pci slot (assume since it's not usb, it's pci?).

edit:typo

Just Joined!
    I'm not using ndiswrapper. My wireless card is Intel 2200/bg and it's supported through suse with the ipw2200 firmware. I'll try changing it from pci and see how that goes.

Just Joined!
    Does anyone know if maybe some update of something would cause this? Because it seems if I use just the base package of software, everything is okay, but once I start adding programs and updating, that's usually when this thing starts to occur.

If all else fails try over here: www.suseforums.net
    Now what? You have Linux installed and running. The GUI is working fine, but you are getting tired of changing your desktop themes. You keep seeing this "terminal" thing. Don't worry, they'll show you what to do @
    <~ http://www.linuxcommand.org/ ~>

Just Joined!
    I've tried suseforums, but they dont seem to have nearly as many people in their forums...bump

What device does it add? Please try and be exact and post some output from commands. That might give us something to look for and pin this down.
    Also please post exactly what you are trying instead of "When I go to the network card".
    I also think the output from lspci might be useful here ...
    It lists all pci devices.
    Now what? You have Linux installed and running. The GUI is working fine, but you are getting tired of changing your desktop themes. You keep seeing this "terminal" thing. Don't worry, they'll show you what to do @
    <~ http://www.linuxcommand.org/ ~>

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast