Find the answer to your Linux question:
Dear all, There are several times I got problems with .ICEauthority this file located in the base level of my user home directory. Most of the time, the user ownership ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

TEC: What really is .ICEauthority about?

Dear all,

There are several times I got problems with .ICEauthority this file located in the base level of my user home directory. Most of the time, the user ownership and group would automatically changed to root after a reboot. And just last time my problem is that there are 2 new files created named .ICEauthority-C and .ICEauthority-l. This is very strange. The result to these abnormalities is that I would then not be able to log into both KDE nor Gnome windows environment.

So what's the count guys? What actually is this .ICEauthority about?

-Charles

Any body? .ICEautority

Seems to be a problem that hits alot of us... I just recently had this problem and found multiple posts about it. Mine was in the /var/lib/gdm3 directory where the others where in the home directory. The home directory people seemed to fix it by reseting the permissions to 755, in my case I read this one and what showed was that I had multiple .ICEautority files that ended in -c and -l (L not 1). I finally just deleted them and it booted ok.

Still I would like to know whats up?

Anyone... The previous post was unanswered and was posted in Feb 2007!

Thanks

Jack