Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, my name is Neil and I am a novice linux user currently watching an experienced user trying to set-up a machine as follows. We are trying to set up ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Suse Standard Server 8.0 - what happened to wu-ftp

Hello, my name is Neil and I am a novice linux user currently watching an experienced user trying to set-up a machine as follows.

We are trying to set up a Suse Standard Server 8.0 for use as an ftp server. unfortuantley we cannot find any reference to any ftp program searching the Suse knowledgebase except for a couple of questions about wu-ftp.

As much as we have tried there does not seem to any installation of wu-ftp included on the installation discs delivered. As an alternative we have installed vsftp but can not see ho to start ir through inetd. Can anyone please suggest how we do this.

BTW - my very experienced Red Hat user is complaing that the Suse version of linux is not as user friendly.

Could you guys maybe check out proftpd? Its very good, and its config syntax is very much the same as apache's, so its very easy.

Good luck

i would have to second the use of proftpd it works nice. and i use webmin on my server to make sure i can start my services. if they dont get started it is jst easier but proftpd seems really easy to use i use webmin as stated before to do everything with it but it seems to work

in my mind i fould suse to be one of the most user friendly distros out there. that is y i didnt like it, it did to much for me. i wanted more control over my system.
    BIG K aka Kyle
    Programming Forums
    www.kylekonline.com
    Please don\'t PM me for help-- ask in the forums instead!

Just Joined!
    I am fond of pureftpd it is very easy to configure, and works well with webmin. It is more secure than the rest. Even Suse ftp server uses pureftpd.

Red Hat friendlier? I think not!