Find the answer to your Linux question:
in runlevel 5, its easy to choose, KDE/GNOME Desktop, simply at the login manager, just choose KDE/GNOME. But how to change the Desktop Environment(KDE/GNOME), in runlevel 3, because I found ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

any "switchdesk" equivalent utility in suse ?

in runlevel 5, its easy to choose, KDE/GNOME Desktop, simply at the login manager, just choose KDE/GNOME.

But how to change the Desktop Environment(KDE/GNOME), in runlevel 3, because I found no "switchdesk " command, as in redhat system.

Plz help
    Regards

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    I don't think Suse has anything similar to switchdesk (slackware has something similar called xwmconfig). You ca however edit your .xinitrc file and insert the session you want to be default.

Linux Newbie
    I found no file like ".xinitrc".
    Anyway thanks for reply.

If you don't have it in your home directory, you create it yourself and put the commands that start your DE or WM e.g. for KDE its
    Code:
    exec startkde

Linux Newbie
    many thanks for help it done
    Ok, the code to start kde is "exec startkde"... plz also write the code for gnome.

by the way, in ~/.xinitrc, simply 'kde' for KDE, and 'gnome' for GNOME, is also working fine.
    So plz let me know the diff b/w the two i.e "startkde" and "kde", in .xinitrc... becuase both working same.

Thanks
    Regards

I really don't know the difference. What I do know is that "startkde" and "gnome-session" are the commands used to start KDE and GNOME. Maybe your distro has symlinks to those two commands and thats why just putting kde or gnome in .xinitrc works for you.

Linux Newbie
    Thanks for such a nice help