Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I am new to Linux. This is my first install on an older box (500 mb cpu, 256 ram, 10 gb hd). The install went perfectly and so far ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Just installed 9.1...question?

Hello, I am new to Linux. This is my first install on an older box (500 mb cpu, 256 ram, 10 gb hd). The install went perfectly and so far I am very pleased with my decision to give Linux a try. My question is when I select the "Turn off computer" finction via KDE, it goes through all the motions of shutting down and at the very end it says something about "runlevel 0" and the process being "halted immediately" and everything just freezes. I can turn off the pc and turn it back on, it boots up fine and when I go to shut it down again, the same thing happens. Is there something wrong or is that the equivalent to Windows "It is now safe to turn off your computer"? I appreciate any input you can give me, I am eager to learn about my new OS. Thank you.

Linux has various Run Levels Main ines are 0,3,5 and 6.

Runlevel 0 means turn computer off
    Runlevel 3 is mulitple user access without X
    Runlevel 5 is basically runlevel 3 with X display
    Runlevel 6 is restart.

So when you click shut down in KDW/gnome/any WM the X Server simply sends a command to the linux OS of init 0 (switch to runlevel 0)

If you have an AT power supply/case this will say run level 0 reached, and then it is safe to turn off. If you have an ATX case/motherboard, this will also be the case, but being ATX, the computer will turn itself off aswell. From what you have said there is nothing to worry about.
    "I am not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings"
    Registered Linux user = #372327

Just Joined!
    Thank you very much for your explanation. I appreciate it.

No problem mate!
    "I am not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings"
    Registered Linux user = #372327