Find the answer to your Linux question:
System: ABIT VI7 + pentium 4 2.8 LG GSA-4081B internal E-EID Seagate 120GB hard drive (successfully installed, formatted and partitioned). Creative soundblaster live 5.1 Windows98SE also installed I'm goiong to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

SUSE 9.0 install - help!

System:
    ABIT VI7 + pentium 4 2.8
    LG GSA-4081B internal E-EID
    Seagate 120GB hard drive (successfully installed, formatted and partitioned).
    Creative soundblaster live 5.1
    Windows98SE also installed

I'm goiong to try to get help on the problems 1 by 1, so here goes.

No.1 Sound
    I can't get any sound through my speakers.
    They definately work as (after a lot of problems) they work when running a windows session.
    Any ideas - I presume its a driver problem - where can i get the right drivers?

NB I want to get on the intranet, for my other windows pc i use ntl - do linux users need diferent settings for going on the internet?

I'm completely new to LINUX so any help much appreciated.

Linux User
    Try:
    Code:
    modprobe emu10k1
    Otherwise, try a search for alsa...there are many threads here about sound issues.
    \"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.\"
    Albert Einstein

Just Joined!
    thanks for the reply - I'll have to ask you to spell it out a bit more.
    where would i put 'modprobe emu10k1' ?
    The only thing I've been looking through is Yast.

you would run it in a terminal window or command line mode. you will need to be root i think but try it first after you get into the terminal. and if it says no command found or something like that then type in su and hit enter it will then ask you for your root password and then you try the modprobe command againa and it should work good luck
    BIG K aka Kyle
    Programming Forums
    www.kylekonline.com
    Please don\'t PM me for help-- ask in the forums instead!

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by big_k105
    you would run it in a terminal window or command line mode. you will need to be root i think but try it first after you get into the terminal. and if it says no command found or something like that then type in su and hit enter it will then ask you for your root password and then you try the modprobe command againa and it should work good luck
    I noticed at the weekend that sound was coming from the speakers when i logged off, however when I play a CD in the DVD player there is no sound.
    Does that change the problem?
    NB also are there only a few ISP providers that work for Linux - I'm connected through Win98 to the net via an ntl account - is this no use for linux?
    Thanks

Linux Engineer
    For the sound, try logging in as root and see if you can get the cd player to make a tune. If you can then it's a permissions thing to do with your sound device.

I use ntl. No problems at all. Connected through the ethernet connection on the ntl cable modem. Works a treat.
    Lansbury's Lido

thekiadriver on #linuxforums - fleetingly

Linux Engineer
    about the sound problem open one of the following:qamix,kmix.one of them has at the bottom a box that says advanced.go there and in the new menu it appears click the analog sound circle.it should go black(from green).then you will hear sound from your speakers
    Linux For Ever!