Find the answer to your Linux question:
Yesterday I installed SuSE 9.1 Personal on my computer, and it told me "Your monitor didn't report its X-size and Y-Size, this might cause display problems like unreadable fonts. Do ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

x, y size, gaim, panel

Yesterday I installed SuSE 9.1 Personal on my computer, and it told me "Your monitor didn't report its X-size and Y-Size, this might cause display problems like unreadable fonts. Do you want to configure your monitor geometry manually?" I clicked "yes" and I did, completely arbitrarily, since I have no experience with this. Get ready to laugh. I set x to 13 and y to 9 I think, just to see what would happen. After restarting, everything was so big that I couldn't even get back to the Control Center to change the values back. I am currently in the process of reinstalling SuSE (heh), and will have to go through the whole thing again. Does anyone know what values I should set? I have a 15" monitor on a Fujitsu notebook (C series), if that matters.

Also, I was trying to install GAIM, because I couldn't find it in the the setup. Can anyone help me out with this? I downloaded the rpm or whatever and chose to install it with YaST, but I couldn't find where to open it.

Also another thing (sorry): does anyone know how to make the panel go across the entire length of the bottom screen?

(As you can see, I am fully new at this. Thanks a lot.)

-Bloštjörn

Linux Guru

Re: x, y size, gaim, panel

Quote Originally Posted by bloštjörn
    Yesterday I installed SuSE 9.1 Personal on my computer, and it told me "Your monitor didn't report its X-size and Y-Size, this might cause display problems like unreadable fonts. Do you want to configure your monitor geometry manually?"
    It may be asking for the phyisical size of the monitor, or the screen resolution eg 1024x768. does it say anything else there which could indicate what it is specifically asking for?

Jason

Just Joined!

Quote Originally Posted by jasonlambert
    Yesterday I installed SuSE 9.1 Personal on my computer, and it told me "Your monitor didn't report its X-size and Y-Size, this might cause display problems like unreadable fonts. Do you want to configure your monitor geometry manually?"
    It may be asking for the phyisical size of the monitor, or the screen resolution eg 1024x768. does it say anything else there which could indicate what it is specifically asking for?

Jason
    Nope, it's just a popup screen type thing. When I clicked "yes" the values were set both to 0. Very weird. My intuition was the physical size of the screen so I just put in a rough estimate figuring I could change it later. But this was clearly wrong. I'm hesitant to try putting in the resolution because those values are even larger than 13 and 9, which already made the text on the screen so big that it was unuseable. Let me know if you have any other ideas. Thanks a lot!

Linux Guru
    the higher the resolution, the smaller everything appears on screen.

eg:
    Resolution | Sample Size
    640x400 | X
    800x600 | X
    1024x768 | X

Just Joined!
    ok i just looked at the menu again, and it says that it wants the size in mm. i still don't have any clue what that would be though for a 15" monitor. any ideas?

Just Joined!

"Your monitor didn't report its X-size and Y-Size, this might cause display problems like unreadable fonts. Do you want to configure your monitor geometry manually?" I clicked "yes"-Bloštjörn
    I had that problem too. I decided not to mess around with that. I'm glad i didn't . I just went to Yast and choosed another screen resolution and refresh rate. It's all alright now.

Also, I was trying to install GAIM, because I couldn't find it in the the setup. Can anyone help me out with this? I downloaded the rpm or whatever and chose to install it with YaST, but I couldn't find where to open it.Bloštjörn
    Gaim is in the setup. Go to Yast, choose install or remove software. You have to first install Gnome (recommended). Inside the gnome options, there's Gaim.

Also another thing (sorry): does anyone know how to make the panel go across the entire length of the bottom screen?Bloštjörn
    In the taskbar, click with the right button of the mouse. Choose configure panel. In the lenght, choose 100%.

Hope it helped

-Bloštjörn[/quote]

Just Joined!
    I just went to Yast and choosed another screen resolution and refresh rate.
    How did you do this? I went to the monitor and resolution area and I didn't see these as options. Hmm.

Go to Yast, choose install or remove software. You have to first install Gnome (recommended).
    I did this just fine... thanks! But:

Inside the gnome options, there's Gaim.
    Where are the gnome options? Is gnome something you can even open? I'm kind of confused about it.

Anyway, thanks for your help![/quote]