Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hello everybody, I have got the next problem: We changed our harddisks lately from our old to our new pc... now with the coming of vista, we installed vista right ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

StartUp error

Hello everybody,

I have got the next problem: We changed our harddisks lately from our old to our new pc... now with the coming of vista, we installed vista right over xp but this has given some strange and let us say unpleasant side effects. Appearantly eeverything had been erased from the other disks, so including suse.. but this aint completely true... i installed it again but now without dvd it gives a common error the number 12 one i think...
    because of the fact that our disks have been rearranged since vista i cant find the right place of suse and so on... too much problems for me... so help meeeeee

greetz and thankyou in advance,

me

Linux Newbie
    Sounds like you need to take a backup and reinstall Suse after Vista is installed. I don't have much experience with Vista. I've been using Suse instead of Vista.

Just Joined!
    dont really get what you wanna say... cause i reinstalled suse after I installed vista, but it stays givin that error...
    greetz

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    i am not getting it.. how many harddisks do you have? where did you install SuSe and Bootloader? what error message are you getting?
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    I have 2 harddisks: one of 80 gig and one of 160 gig. Before installing vista I had suse installed on the first partition of the 80. After i installed vista(160) that harddisk(80) had become one harddisk... and no suse.. so when i started up i got the error message 12: cannot find bootloader. so i put in the dvd of suse and then it worked but i didnt had suse anymore, cause apperently vista had erased that disk... so i reinstalled suse, but after that i still got error message...

so plz help ^^

greetz

boot up from SuSe Installation CD/DVD and select 'Rescue'. this will drop you at shell prompt. execte 'fdisk -l' command and post output here.

Just Joined!
    euhm he asks for a rescue login but we never had such a login... i never used passwords...

didn't you create username and password during install installation?
    you could login as 'root' to too. type Username 'root' and enter administrative password that you assigned during installation.

Just Joined!
    Srr for being so late to reply on your last help...
    i'll try that later on the day and let you know
    thx for the help so far.
    greetz,
    me

Just Joined!
    k the next i will type is the output you asked for...

disk /dev/hda: 160.0 GB, 255 heads, 63sectors/track,19457 cilinders...
    Device Boot Start End Id System
    /dev/hda1 * 1 6375 7 Hpfs/ntfs
    /dev/hda2 6376 10836 f w95 ext'd(lba)
    /dev/hda3 10837 15044 7 hpfs/ntfs
    /dev/hda4 15044 19458 7 hpfs/ntfs
    /dev/hda5 6376 6567 82 linux swap/solaris
    /dev/hda6 6568 8293 83 linux
    /dev/hda7 8294 10836 83 linux

disk hdb is completely ntfs and not primary disk so, i think that one doesnt matter..

thx for the help if you help... ^^

greetz

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast