Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello everyone. My question is, I have set up a minimal linux system for booting into a shell. I used a small harddisk and have instaled grub as the bootloader. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    fin
    Just Joined!

Minimal Linux with Grub

Hello everyone.
    My question is, I have set up a minimal linux system for booting into a shell.
    I used a small harddisk and have instaled grub as the bootloader. The device is /dev/hdc and the partition used is /dev/hdc1. It is the only harddrive on the system, so for grub it will be (hd0,0). I installed the vmlinuz kernel in the directory /boot/vmlinuz on the harddrive. Also I installed the shell into /bin/sh on the harddrive. The filesystem is ext2.
    Well... booting works fine into grub. Then I enter the following commands root (hd0,0)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hdc1 init=/bin/sh vga=788
    boot

It loads the kernel and it also seems to start until it reaches the point where it saied Kernel panic: No init found. Try passing init= option to kernel.

Well. I thougth I did in grub. But it seems I am doing something wrong here. I would appreciate tips, hints of help. Thank you in advance.

Just Joined!
    try making a symbolic link to /bin/sh so that when kenel boots and runs /sbin/init it will actually run /bin/sh

ln -s /bin/sh /sbin/init