Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I am trying to install WINE in SLES 9 edition. I have installed the following packages using Yast. fontforge-20060715-7.3.i586.rpm prelink-0.3.10-2.1.i586.rpm wine-0.9.34-12.1.i586.rpm wine-devel-0.9.34-12.1.i586.rpm wine-snapshot-0.9.34.20070410-12.1.i586.rpm wine-snapshot-debug-0.9.34.20070410-12.1.i586.rpm wine-snapshot-devel-0.9.34.20070410-12.1.i586.rpm I have ignored some ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

WINE installation in Suse Linux

Hi,
    I am trying to install WINE in SLES 9 edition. I have installed the following packages using Yast.
    fontforge-20060715-7.3.i586.rpm
    prelink-0.3.10-2.1.i586.rpm
    wine-0.9.34-12.1.i586.rpm
    wine-devel-0.9.34-12.1.i586.rpm
    wine-snapshot-0.9.34.20070410-12.1.i586.rpm
    wine-snapshot-debug-0.9.34.20070410-12.1.i586.rpm
    wine-snapshot-devel-0.9.34.20070410-12.1.i586.rpm

I have ignored some of the conflicts using Yast while installations. After installation I'm running the command 'winecfg' and it gives the message
    "creating configuration directory '/root/.wine ' ......."
    and it hangs. Can some one help me fixing this problem and configuring Wine??

SLES 9 is getting long in the tooth. It may be that the newest version of wine may have a conflict with the older kernel or other libraries. You might try an older version of wine.

Just Joined!

WINE installation in Suse Linux

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp
    SLES 9 is getting long in the tooth. It may be that the newest version of wine may have a conflict with the older kernel or other libraries. You might try an older version of wine.

Thank you for your advice...

But there are no earlier versions of SLES available in winehq.com. The earliest itself is SLES9.. Any how I'm trying with the updated versions of it.
    I have one more doubt. Is it sufficient to install 'i586' packages alone or do we need to install the corresponding 'src' versions also??

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    src means source code unless you intend to compile the program it is not needed.

also you don't need devel types unless you are a programmer and intend to include the code in some project.

What I ment to say is that you are trying to install the latest version of wine in an older version of Suse. There may be problems becaause the new version of wine is expecting newer kernels and or libraries. Is there some reason you are running version 9? If you have the install disks the version of wine needed by Suse 9.x may well be on the disks. If you can not find it or you want the newest wine you may need to compile from source.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp
    src means source code unless you intend to compile the program it is not needed.

also you don't need devel types unless you are a programmer and intend to include the code in some project.

What I ment to say is that you are trying to install the latest version of wine in an older version of Suse. There may be problems becaause the new version of wine is expecting newer kernels and or libraries. Is there some reason you are running version 9? If you have the install disks the version of wine needed by Suse 9.x may well be on the disks. If you can not find it or you want the newest wine you may need to compile from source.

Which install disks are you talking about?? SLES or WINE..If it is WINE ,we don't have them..We have downloaded the packages from the link
    http://software.opensuse.org/downloa...NLD9/repodata/
    We have both 'i586' and 'src' packages in that link...
    Our main aim is to port some of our own windows applications developed using VC++ 6.0 and .NET to SLES 9. Can you suggest which wine package will be helpful ??

Quote Originally Posted by tcsvikr
    Which install disks are you talking about?? SLES or WINE..If it is WINE ,we don't have them..We have downloaded the packages from the link
    http://software.opensuse.org/downloa...NLD9/repodata/
    We have both 'i586' and 'src' packages in that link...
    Our main aim is to port some of our own windows applications developed using VC++ 6.0 and .NET to SLES 9. Can you suggest which wine package will be helpful ??
    The Suse install disks should have wine on them. They do in 10.x so I'm guessing that wine came with 9.x also.

I also develop for Windoz I use 10.1 and VMware server. (note I found I needed a 2 gig to run smoothly)

I'm not sure that wine will work at all with VC. Some how I doubt it. You might try Crossover Office a commercial version of wine.

And why are you using such an old version of Suse?

You wil also need Mono if you plan to port .net stuff and of course that is not a 100% solution. You really need to look at a good c++ IDE that supports mono. There is kdevelop but I'm not sure if it handles mono. But there are a lot of others. I really don't think the wine is going to do it for you.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    The Suse install disks should have wine on them. They do in 10.x so I'm guessing that wine came with 9.x also.

I also develop for Windoz I use 10.1 and VMware server. (note I found I needed a 2 gig to run smoothly)

I'm not sure that wine will work at all with VC. Some how I doubt it. You might try Crossover Office a commercial version of wine.

And why are you using such an old version of Suse?

You wil also need Mono if you plan to port .net stuff and of course that is not a 100% solution. You really need to look at a good c++ IDE that supports mono. There is kdevelop but I'm not sure if it handles mono. But there are a lot of others. I really don't think the wine is going to do it for you.

Hi,
    We tried to find wine packages on install disks of SLES 9 but couln't find them. Since we have a clone of SLES 9 with us we are using it.
    We are still unsuccessful in making WINE run. Can you suggest any other feasible solution..

a silly question/suggestion

Quote Originally Posted by tcsvikr View Post
    We are still unsuccessful in making WINE run. Can you suggest any other feasible solution..
    Just what are you doing to try and get wine to run? At the risk of typing something too obvious (ie please do not be offended at me for my simple suggestion/answer), if you have a DOS/Windows app, by the name of "program.exe", to get it to run under wine, simple open a konsole, and type:
    wine program.exe

Linux Newbie

first uninstall wine

First thing you need to do is uninstall wine. all those wine packages. Then install wine. none of the other packages. no development etc...

Once you have that installed, try the winecfg. If it hangs again, just close it out and reboot. then check and see if there is a .wine folder in your home dir. Make sure you can see hidden folders.. If the folder is there, brouse through it to make sure you have the program files, C., etc. folders. Then retry winecfg. or try to install something in with wine..
    Alienware M17
    Dual ATI 3870 512Mb ram each
    intel 5300 wireless
    Ubuntu 8.04