Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
that telnet idea is good! ill try that in a bit!! i take it i do that in command promt?? how to i tell telnet to go thru the proxy?? ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Smile

that telnet idea is good! ill try that in a bit!! i take it i do that in command promt?? how to i tell telnet to go thru the proxy?? otherwise it will never connect! can i use putty instead to do the telneting??

thanks

Linux Newbie
    I've never used putty to do connectivity testing. With putty, it seems like either it works or it doesn't and if it doesn't, it doesn't really give any good indication of why.

I have a proxy here and after I authenticate myself, I can get through it unrestricted for about 20 minutes till I have to authenticate again. Yours may not work the same way though. I doubt if "telnet" could do any authentication on your proxy. Maybe it could and I just don't know how... but I doubt it.

Just Joined!

Smile

ive just tried following all the advice. so far im getting an error message in a popup box saying "Proxy error: 504 Gateway Time-out" and an ok button!

in session i put myip and 5905
    i change window -> translation to utf-8
    i add the http proxy url in connection -> proxy with 8080
    i change ssh to use 2 only
    and i add to ssh -> tunnels source 8080 and destination myip and 5905
    i then save and then open

putty stays sill for 3mins, then gives the above error!

what is wrong with what im doing??

thaanks

Linux Newbie
    To get tunneling to work, you first need to get your direct ssh connection. Once that is working, move on to tunneling. Can you ssh directly to your home box without setting up any tunneling stuff? My guess would be "no". The proxy probably restricts it.

Just Joined!
    yeah, the proxy blocks it, i can only use port 8080 on the xp box. thats the hardest part. i want to go thru this proxy on port 8080 to the ssh daemon in suse on port 5905 with my ip!

the connection timesout.

Linux Newbie
    Try running your ssh daemon on port 8080 at home and then try the same connectivity tests.

Just Joined!
    yeah i tried that, changed the sshd_config to 8080, then rebooted, still exactly the same!!!

i think im going to give up at this for now, or atleast till i can test that ssh is working with a pc on the same local network!

unless there are any ideas?

Okay I think I see what is wrong here. You are configuring your proxy as say proxy.com , port 8080 in Windows. That's normal because proxies generally run on port 8080. That does not mean port 8080 is open, in fact you are using it for your proxy connection.

Now I understand that most ports are blocked because that's only the sensible thing to do, but believe me that port 80 and port 443 are open and will communicate with your system through the proxy. Otherwise you would not have any ability to surf. Try configuring sshd to port 443 and try a standard ssh connection from work. This will confirm some level of connectivity.

Also how are you connecting home? Do you have a static IP address or are you using dynamic DNS?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by bigtomrodney
    Okay I think I see what is wrong here. You are configuring your proxy as say proxy.com , port 8080 in Windows. That's normal because proxies generally run on port 8080. That does not mean port 8080 is open, in fact you are using it for your proxy connection.

Now I understand that most ports are blocked because that's only the sensible thing to do, but believe me that port 80 and port 443 are open and will communicate with your system through the proxy. Otherwise you would not have any ability to surf. Try configuring sshd to port 443 and try a standard ssh connection from work. This will confirm some level of connectivity.

Also how are you connecting home? Do you have a static IP address or are you using dynamic DNS?
    THE SITUATION

work win xp box goes thru a proxy on port 8080, it then only allows port 80 and 443,(i think ur right and this has messed me up), as im righting this i feel stupid!!

i should configure the ssh daemon to port 80 or 443, as that is all the proxy will allow me to view!

im going to set this up, ill try tomorow from work, then report back! i have a good feeling about this!

i have a dynamic ip! but it hasnt changed in 7 days! is there a way i can set things up so i dont have to use the static ip?? that would be handy??

thanks everyone! fingerrs crossed

Normally you would need to pay your ISP for a static address. Prices vary. But in most cable setups your IP is realtively static you just need to keep track of it. For most DSL setups your IP might change any time you log on. It might drive you crazy trying to keep up.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast