Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've just transferred from the Dark Side to Suse, so very, very wet behind the ears (Newbie). In trying to download my case load from work, I've maxed out my ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Adding storage to Suse 10.2

I've just transferred from the Dark Side to Suse, so very, very wet behind the ears (Newbie). In trying to download my case load from work, I've maxed out my drive space. I added a hard drive from another computer and I'm trying to get Suse to recognize it/Allow me to use it. {Sys. specs: Nvidia nforce 2 mobo/AMD Athlon 2800+/ATI Radeon 9250(256mb)/HD1 Western Digital 100gb/HD2 Quantum Fireball (Suse)30gb/HD3 (Storage) Western Digital 30gb. Memory 512mb and CD Burner HP 9300}

JHB
    Just Joined!
    You would probably have to select the tree you want to move to the new drive.
    As root, type
    # du -h --max-depth=1 /
    This will list all the directories from the root, showing there sizes.
    Select one that will fit on your new drive

The easiest is to use YaST to partition and format the drive
    Type yast in the search section of the "start" menu, and run yast
    Go to System, and then partitioner
    You should be able to see your new drive there
    (It should be hdb, but double check the sizes)
    Delete all partitions on it, and create a new one
    Set the mount point to a temporary mount point, eg /mnt
    I recommend using reiserfs. It is faster than ext3 for desktop use - actually for all uses I've come across...
    Once the drive is formatted and mounted, copy all files of the selected tree to it:
    #cp -a /....../* /mnt
    Check if EVERYTHING copied correctly and is in /mnt
    Then delete everything is the selected tree:
    # cd /...../
    # rm -rf *
    Don't delete the tree directory itself.

Run yast again and change the mountpoint of the new drive to be the old tree.
    If yast doesn't want to run (because it is in the tree you deleted) edit /etc/mtab, and modify it manually.
    joe is an editor that is fairly easy to use for beginners.
    Unless you already know vi.

You can then manually mount it with:
    # mount /dev/hd.. /..../

Talking Thanks

Thanks! I appreciate the steps provided..."step-by-step" I'll try that when I get home and will reply.

Liam

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by Aroques
    I've just transferred from the Dark Side to Suse, so very, very wet behind the ears (Newbie). In trying to download my case load from work, I've maxed out my drive space. I added a hard drive from another computer and I'm trying to get Suse to recognize it/Allow me to use it. {Sys. specs: Nvidia nforce 2 mobo/AMD Athlon 2800+/ATI Radeon 9250(256mb)/HD1 Western Digital 100gb/HD2 Quantum Fireball (Suse)30gb/HD3 (Storage) Western Digital 30gb. Memory 512mb and CD Burner HP 9300}
    do you want to use new drive to expand Linux Partitions for installing more softwares OR use as storage ( data, movies and stuff like that ) ?
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Storage

devils_casper,

I wanted to use it as storage: data, files, movies, music, etc... should I make other changes to accomplish this with Suse 10.2? Thanks for the reply and assist...

in that case, i wont suggest you to mess with SuSe's System Files or Folders.
    format second disk through Disk Partitioner in Yast and mount partitions.
    check this thread to mount partitions of second disk.

in case you stuck anywhere, execute 'fdisk -l' command in Terminal/Konsole and post output here.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Linux Newbie
    I agree with devils casper this thread is what he sent to me and it worked a treat. I dont know if i did right but I then logged on as root to enable permissions for user and can now see and use all my drives.

Thanks to Devils_Casper and Redbook...I picked up a couple of shifts extra at the Dojo and now I've finally got a chance to get back to things. I'll respond in an hour or so with the results. I appreciate the help and reference...

Liam

Talking

Took a lot longer than expected to get to it, but the directions were pretty straight forward and its done. Thanks again for the great assistance.