Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Well thanks to every body for all your help - got a system working like a dream now, don't know why I ever bothered with WIDOWS. Just one more thing ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Hotmail

Well thanks to every body for all your help - got a system working like a dream now, don't know why I ever bothered with WIDOWS. Just one more thing does anybody out there know of a free application to access hotmail on Thunderbird?

You might take a look at http://www.freepops.org/en/
    Brilliant Mediocrity - Making Failure Look Good

May be time to make the break total. There is always Google Mail.

I suspect that Hotmail uses activeX this simply won't work in Linux. See how the MS lockin works?

Nah Hotmail works under Linux. I occasionally reactivate mine to communicate with my friends who use messenger.

Hotmail free account doesn't support any Email Client including Outlook Express. i will try freepops tomorrow. let see if it supports hotmail free account too. 'll post back soon.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Linux Newbie
    I do not use the free account it is the one at about 15 per year can't remember which that is but allows http: access in express and outlook.

Quote Originally Posted by bigtomrodney
    Nah Hotmail works under Linux. I occasionally reactivate mine to communicate with my friends who use messenger.
    Just as a side note, do you know you can use any email addresses to communication with the MSN messenger protocol? Simply activate your email address as a MS passport account, and then it will work in MSN (as well as in Hotmail). For example, I use my Gmail account to communicate with friends through MSN. More here:
    http://www.passport.net

And yes, Hotmail as always worked in Linux for me too.
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Linux Newbie
    Thanks for that, but my problem is I want to be able to get my hotmail e-mails on my suse system without using webmail.

Quote Originally Posted by redbook
    Thanks for that, but my problem is I want to be able to get my hotmail e-mails on my suse system without using webmail.
    With a paid Hotmail account, don't they give access to POP and SMTP servers?
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Quote Originally Posted by antidrugue
    Just as a side note, do you know you can use any email addresses to communication with the MSN messenger protocol? ....
    Ah yeah cheers for that. Unfortunately though it's a bit of stubborness I'm dealing with on the other end and it would be as easy to get some of these guys to switch to google-talk as it would to get them onto a new account.

Unfortunately that switch is only half complete.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast